Cs32 nightmare...

Guest webbedfootfenman

Guest webbedfootfenman

So now got one day left of cs32 training, and have to admit I'm not feeling confident at all about test day, I've got one day left, there's 4 of us that are working in pairs and thus far today we felled 2 trees!! Between the 4 of us, which brings our grand total up to 3 trees, im yet to do a tree start to finish, Does this seem right? The instructor learns us by me doing one half of the gob and my mate doing the other half and so on and so on, then we all stand around the stump and talk about all that's wrong with it, we spent the whole afternoon rolling the second tree of the day out of a hang up with all 4 of us doing each little part of a letterbox cut, this method of learning is driving me mad!! I really just want to get on with it and fell a tree start to finish myself then be told where I've gone wrong so I know what I need to work on, I'm not learning at all, to be honest I'm fuming because i really don't feel like I'm any further forward than day one, and I know in myself I'm not ready for assement, I work on the rivers cutting small willows growing out of the bank or trees that have fallen in and cause blockages and haven't felled a tree since my cs31 course 4years ago, so I need all the help I can get, sorry for the rant guys just thought I might find a more sympathetic ear here than my wife who just looks at me blankly and says your watching the kids tonight... :001_huh:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest webbedfootfenman

Well firstly no I'm not footing the bill my company is, secondly the lad who's with me is kind of hopping it will all magically come together tomorrow (wishfull thinking) and I had a word with the instructor and he just said he has showed us everything we need to be shown to pass the test, putting it all into practice is our problem (nice chap huh) another thing, tomorrow is the last day of training then the test is on Monday so I've got 4 whole days to forget everything... I'm thinking this course isn't going to have a happy ending

It does sound a bit off to me. Maybe the problem is the location of your training/assessment, by that i mean there may not be many trees coming down so what little there is has to be shared between you??? If this is the case then maybe you could cut the first one high and use the high stump to practice more cuts?

Hope you get that sorted out, you cant get good if you dont get the practice!

Guest webbedfootfenman

You no if that was the case David I could understand it, but we're in thetford forest and it's wall to wall with big pine trees and the guy from the forestry told us on day one to crack on and knock as many down as we want to, as long as we treat the stumps, it's beyond frustrating, if I was crashing down small trees all day at work usually I wouldn't be as bothered, but as I say I haven't felled a tree properly in 4 years

well in that case you need to give your trainer a kick in the backside and tell him you want to cut down as many trees as possible on your last day. If he said he has taught you all you need to know then he shouldnt be holding you back from getting in the practice. Have a word with the others on the course and if they all feel the same then you need to act before its too late.

Before you start tomorrow, raise your concernes to the instructor. If after that nothing is done about it, make sure that you fill in the feed back sheet that you will have to do at the end of the course. In addition if you are still unhappy and you feel that the course has not been run properly, phone the assessment centre and NPTC. Once a compaint has been made then it will be looked into and hopefullly sorted out.