Rabbit Food?

corylus

I had a meeting with a National Park bod yesterday regarding flood damage to our local riverbanks. A fair bit of this has been aided by our furry friends' annoying habits of digging holes, and nibbling off any regen. Apparently one local chap (sadly recently deceased) had found that Salix purpurea was left alone by the bunnies as it doesn't taste too good to them.

Does anyone know more/any different on this?

Quite a strange and unusual story this in regards to rabbits burying into riverbanks. This must be very, very rare indeed because its not a natural place for a rabbit to reside. I would be more inclined to think the rabbits are finding it too damp where the purple willow grows . The past two winters up here the rabbits stripped the bark off everything in sight and left nothing.

That is an interesting fact if true because i have only ever heard of them leaving box hedging. :biggrin:

Not sure what they eat and don't eat but wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to control the rabbits - shooting, trapping, ferreting, gassing etc :confused1:

We have an awful lot of buns up here in Swaledale, possibly because of our dry stone walls being a very safe place for them, and its not possible to gas/trap/ferret walls. We do shoot though.

So not easier. Cheaper????? well once a stock of willow is established it is very easy and cheap to take cuttings etc.

Quite a strange and unusual story this in regards to rabbits burying into riverbanks. This must be very, very rare indeed because its not a natural place for a rabbit to reside. :biggrin:

Welcome to Swaledale life. ALL the riverbanks I deal with (a few miles worth) have thriving rabbit populations, and they are THE major factor in bank erosion.

All plantings have to be protected which is obviously a problem when they are likely to be submerged in a raging torrent. Similar problems with coppicing the riverside trees, which is traditional on the Swale, bunnies eat buds!

They ate mine so it might not be a universal truth. On our patch, the only tree that survives their attention is Alder.

Will have a try with coppicing some bits of alder, see if our buns have similar tastes to yours.

The salix purpurea is a natural asprin which has a bitter taste to it I believe, they dont like the bitter taste

If im wrong someone shoots me :thumbup:

Arran

Not wrong but I thought all willows had it, wiki seems to confirm:confused1:

Salicylic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The little darlings nibble all my other willows given the chance:cussing: