Fantastic new way to store firewood!

Al Baker

Al, my missus is from up your way and has ideas that one day we will head up there. I've been up a bit to see the Ben and we did a route around the coast one year (tenting in Ullapool was memorable, especially the couple from the Wirral who thought the weather was 'disgusting seeing as how they paid so much'.)

I'm kind of against the idea for one reason only. Down here in Devon we have a proliferation of broadleaf trees and stuff like ash and hazel grows like weeds. I'm always saying there are no trees up there as all my visits to lowlands, borders and highlands seem to be dominated by forestry commision crapwoods.

So, is it possible to grow broadleaf trees of whatever species in the highlands?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's plenty of broadleaf trees up here, many replanting schemes too.

There's also plenty of crapwood trees and even some pockets of ancient Caledonian (non crap) forest I could show you if you don't mind spending a day getting there in a canoe.

Best thing to do is to take her advice and move up here. It'll all become apparent after that.

What's the current foreign policy on the treatment of Sassenachs?:001_tongue:

Most of those pockets of sassenach haters have become diluted down to nothing. Though they can still be found in some of themore remote bits of the country.

I've been Scottish for 15 years now Scottish because I chose to be that way, not by an accident of birth.

(at least that's what I tell any whiskey drenched racist Dinosaur bawbags who wanna splurt nationalism at me in a pub)

Things have changed a lot on that front, even in the time that I've been here. I think you'll agree, unless of course you're a Campbell..lol

I have been a member of the forum for just under a year now and have picked up a few good ideas, because, although I have been cutting firewood for myself and family for over 45 years, (God, is it really that long?) you are never too old to learn something new, especially about handling and storage. I started with the Fergie saw, moved on to the chainsaw and axe, and now have the tractors and logsplitter, evolution you might say.

I have never posted anything before, mainly because I've never had anything useful to contribute to the firewood forum. Until now.

I have never, for a long, long time read such utter racist rubbish as the following:

Most of those pockets of sassenach haters have become diluted down to nothing. Though they can still be found in some of themore remote bits of the country.

I've been Scottish for 15 years now Scottish because I chose to be that way, not by an accident of birth.

(at least that's what I tell any whiskey drenched racist Dinosaur bawbags who wanna splurt nationalism at me in a pub)

Things have changed a lot on that front, even in the time that I've been here. I think you'll agree, unless of course you're a Campbell..lol

For a start, I have been a Scottish Nationalist all my life. So that makes me a "whiskey drenched racist Dinosaur bawbags who wanna splurt nationalism"[/I]?

Scottish Nationalists believe that Scots should determine their own fate. Simples. Now, we may make a mistake or two along the way, but they will our mistakes and up to us to rectify. When we do make mistakes, you can laugh by all means. But we will learn from those mistakes and move on.

Even if he could actually change his nationality, he never will be Scottish. Why on earth would he want to change his nationality? Ashamed of your own nationality? Residence does not determine your nationality. I could live in England for 30 years, but I would never become English, I would always be a Scot.

"some pockets of ancient Caledonian (non crap) forest I could show you if you don't mind spending a day getting there in a canoe" Well, I can take him in my car a few miles, open the door, walk a couple of paces and touch a Scots pine. Why would he get into a canoe? Maybe we are so backward that's the only mode of transport we can use?

"A fair portion of the Highlands remains "Frontier country" even in this day and age. You can still stub your ribs on a dumped tractors steering column diving into a Loch." By the way, no crofter dumps a tractor in a loch. If it can be driven to a loch, then it can still be used. You will find them rusting away in fields, usually because they have been used as a donor tractor for spares. It's called recycling, yes, even in the "Frontier country". I'm sure the locals would love the description.

Oh, and if you really want to be Scots, Mr Baker, then do try to spell whisky properly. And one further thing, I am a Campbell, and very proud of it.

Sorry for taking the post off track.