Hitch Climber.... Am I just a big fairy...?

WorcsWuss

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody call a vet because because this Swan is siick ! Ooooooosh !

31.jpeg

This is all you need , problem solved. :lol:

On a more serious , helpful note. I think you need to try it again , sounds like the combination of anchor point etc was really working against you. If you cambium saver is that short try girth hitching a pulley on tape sling as your anchor point. Less friction the better.

Just wondering, is there any reason you can't run your line through a micro pulley as your friction saver. I have done it before and it works a treat, girth hitched to the stem with a prussick loop or dyneema sling.

Do you guys reckon it's safe?

I've just read throught this thread and caught up!

With the method of using a micro pulley and schwabisch prussik you would have to pull your climbing rope from a very low position?, unlike a normal prussike where you can pull down from just below the actual knot

I'm probabaly wrong as i'm still using just a normal prussik myself lol!

No, you're correct, James.

To get round this problem, it's being suggested that the whole friction hitch and Hitchclimber be moved away from the climber so that he can pull from below. The positioning of this is usually temporary, with the hitch being brought back to the climber's harness once the 'work' begins.

I've been away this week and in between relaxing [briefly] and running round the kids [mostly] I've been thinking about all the things talked about here and have come up with a little widget which I'm going to try to develop into a way round this and a few other regular 'problems'.... it could theoretically even become a kit bag essential [or a total waste of my time and gross miscalculation!l.... Either way, watch this [or some other] space!

I'm interested to see what you come up with. In meantime, try a Hedden hitch instead of the VT and see what happens. I've been mucking about with this and it don't arf slip up the rope easily and is also easy to unlock. You can use a shorter length of cord too. Trouble with some hitches is that they elongate a lot, and this wastes your humping effort. The Hedden stays compact. I posted a thread asking if anyone uses a Hedden hitch.... and so far no reply.