another tree survey question

garry kidd

basically im intrested in doing tree safety surveys i have a national certificate in horticulture with a special unit on trees pests diseases and fungi i have cs30 31 38 i have worked in tree nurseries straight after leaving college (8 years ago) i have worked with thres since i left school both foretry and arboricuutre as a feller machine operator and groundy would this be enough for oing surveys ie kowledge experiance ect

iam looking to do the lantra pti course and either the online diploma through myerscough or the european tree technician cert

could i doo these surveys now (with insurance) or would it be best o wait till i have the above certs

any help much or adice gratefully recieved

From my experience, it does not matter how qualified you are, it will never be enough for some people, whilst others will swear blind experience is everything !

As far as the law goes, I dont think there is a minimum requirement as to qualified. Guidance and precedents seem all to point to somewhat unquantified statements about "suitably qualified" whilst never finding the need to somehow qualify the wording...Not very helpful !

The PTI is well regarded...It would depend who you worked for in the final analysis perhaps....some outfits only want you to be a member of the AA !

The bottom line is, the more you know, the more you know- I guess.:sneaky2:

Just been looking at the PTI course myself. Looks pretty interesting to me but seems to need a level 3 qualification and 5yrs experience as a pre-requisite, which is fair enough. I'm currently doing the level 2 cert and don't have time or money to do a level 3, so looks like PTI is a bridge too far. Does passing L2, having industry experience and swotting up carry any can?

Just been looking at the PTI course myself. Looks pretty interesting to me but seems to need a level 3 qualification and 5yrs experience as a pre-requisite, which is fair enough. I'm currently doing the level 2 cert and don't have time or money to do a level 3, so looks like PTI is a bridge too far. Does passing L2, having industry experience and swotting up carry any can?

I recently did my PTI and have a level 2 and had about 3 years surveying exp before that. The first 2 days is basically a teaching aid telling you everything you might need it includes outside practicals and indoor teaching. The fungi questions on the exam is open book as well.

Its a lot of money but i passed it with what you have.

Best thing i found was to ring whoever was running the course and have a chat with one of them and explain your background and experience, i did that and although i wasnt massively confident i went for it and passed so it can be done.

Good luck