Gear storage... how do you keep yours?

WorcsWuss

I'm a bit of a magpie, and a storage fiend, I love for everything to have a place and for everything to be in it. :blushing:

Storing most stuff is easy, I have a wall of good big shelves in my shed so everything has a home.

I keep my climbing, lowering & tag ropes each in their own suitably sized rope bag, I have a holdall for my harness, helmet, gloves [and boots & trousers if I'm not wearing them out] a cantilever toolbox for all my widgets & wotsits and my wedges live in there too. I have a plastic crate for my rigging gear and another for additional PPE, 1st aid kit etc.

I then have my old tuck box from school, complete with 1980's stickers all over it, into which everything else goes, strops, flipline, spikes and all my hardware.

I have to do it like this because every time I use my kit it all has to get loaded into the truck and then put back in the shed at the end of the day and locked up. I have even made a 'bench' for the boot of the truck so I can load it all up without double stacking it, it also doubles as a table for picnic lunches!

It's the hardware I struggle with though. At the moment I just clip everything onto a Big Boa krab [in a specific order of course, so I know I haven't left anything behind], and throw it in with everything else, but it niggles at me.

I was just eyeing up the Celebrations tub, I reckon that this will be my new hardware storage tub for now until a better solution presents itself. This can just be chucked in the box with everything else then.

So, how do you store your gear, and what OCD's do the rest of us have? I'm absolutely positive I won't be the only one so anal about where their gear lives! :biggrin:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a load of those flexitub things over Christmas - Tescos have a copy type one in rather sickly colours for £3 each. They're excellent for ropes, slings, pulleys clothing - in fact everything that needs carried or needs a home is finding its way into them now and stack them in the corner. Job done:thumbup:

i find i am like that with rock climbing gear more than i am with tree gear... i thnik that is because there is a set way to rack gear up on your harness so i rack it the same in storage. i also seperate crag gear from indoor wall gear. but with tree work, i have a rigging bag with all my rigging gear in, my climbing bag with all my climbing gear in and anything i leave behind i can make do without!

i find i am like that with rock climbing gear more than i am with tree gear... i thnik that is because there is a set way to rack gear up on your harness so i rack it the same in storage. i also seperate crag gear from indoor wall gear. but with tree work, i have a rigging bag with all my rigging gear in, my climbing bag with all my climbing gear in and anything i leave behind i can make do without!

Gives me cold sweats just reading that! :lol:

i think being adaptable is a good thing, i do hate being without some stuff, and i confess to getting gear ready the night before work so i know it's all ready to go, but if i sat and organised my gear for hours i'd self combust! :P

right now there is a ropeguide and line hanging from my banisters, my lanyard is in bits on the livingroom floor, my topper has its guts out all over the coservatory and my climbing bag looks like a nest of ropes and biners! but im not working tomorrow so it doesnt bother me one bit! :)

i used to get sooo frantic about gear but i just dont panic nowadays! and im a messy guy so i suppose its horses for courses!

I use the recycled tyre tubs with a nylon lid that fits on the top to keep the rain out. Ropes in one, rigging and climbing, rigging gear in another and a small rucksack for harness,flip line and all climbing accessories which I now don't use because I'm on SRT!

Nice and simples, you can leave the tubs at the base of the tree and if anything hits it no problem it won't brake unlike the cheaper ones! Well worth the extra money!

Im impressed with your organisation i feel the same way it bugs me really badly when everything is untidy or dirty. I need a bigger bag for boots trousers helmet gloves etc, probley a big vinyl one when i get the dosh together.

If anyones got storage pictures that would be awesome, im sure ill see what someone else is doing and change how i store my stuff :001_smile:

Arran