New to the world of chainsaw carving but..

EddieJ

Here is another project that I have on the go.

I drive down the same country lane on pretty much a daily basis for the last three years, lent on the bank of a verge getting hit occasionally by the odd passing vehicle was the lump of oak shown below.

Approx 3 months ago I decided to pick it up and turn it into something. When I stopped to put it into the van, I could see why it was still there, I could hardly lift it!

Anyway it has sat in my workshop since that day, and then two weeks ago I deceded to do something with it, and what a transformation. I had in mind originally to cut it length ways and follow the curve of it, then I thought that I might carve it into an animal of some kind, but now I'm loathe to touch it at all!!

Tough decisions!!

As found.

dscf1885e.jpg

dscf1886y.jpg

Now.

seatp.jpg

dscf2171.jpg

Edited by EddieJ

there are sculptural "artists" who sell stuff like this for thousands JUST as it is in your workshop, sometimes they'll burn the hell out of the wood and give it some fancy name to justify the mahoosive pricetag....

That is what depresses me. I have neither the plum in my mouth or the contacts.:sad:

I quite fancied the idea of mounting it on some mirror polished stainless tube, placing it on a marbled foyer, and then selling it for thousands.

Still, I can dream!!:001_smile:

I had another quick play today.

I have just bought myself an Arbortec mini grinder and this was my first try with it. They took about 15 mins each to make, and whilst a bit rough and ready, I reckon that with practice, the Arbortec should prove to be a very good tool.

squirrels2.jpg

squirrels1p.jpg

I also made this approx a week ago from oak off cuts. The shape was cut with a jigsaw.

catbirdbox.jpg

Edited by EddieJ

The obelisk is a cracker. If you don't mind me asking how long did it take you to make that?

Thanks for the positive comment.

Ref the time scale I don't really know as I just did it as and when I found time. I reckon that approx 40hrs work went into it, but it would have been longer had Bacho not sponsored me the saws for the project. I was just able to throw the saw blades away as they became blunt. I also only did two very slight over cuts on the whole thing, and that was only because I switched saw type and blade pitch.

A nice little present.

dscf1103o.jpg

Being green oak, I didn't want it opening and splitting whilst I worked on it, so I kept applying Danish oil as I worked on it to slow the splitting process down. It worked very well, but made the job slower. I would also have liked to have just left it a natural colour, but that's life.

dscf1082b.jpg

use12.jpg

I called the piece 'A Cut Above The Rest'

acutabovetherestphotoon.jpg

Edited by EddieJ

And this was the prototype that I made for it.

play1gl2.jpg

Note the differing cuts. I fooked up as I struggled to get my head around the concept of it.:001_rolleyes:

As an aside, the Triton Super jaws that it's sitting in, is one of the best bits of kit that I have. I'd recommend one to anyone that wants to clamp wood in a solid fashion. It is worth every penny.