Chainsaw wanted 100cc + big Stihl etc

Johnleddo

A little word on this business .First of all I've only in my life time ever seen one 075 .I've seen several 076's though so I assume more of that model were made .

Anytime you get into a saw that old no matter who made it parts will be hard to find .Trust me as I've restored many old saws .It isn't a fact of if repair parts can be found it's the time involved and then the price involved as well .

Restoration of older saws is not for the impatient .Now I personally enjoy the challange myself but some find it a nuisance and grow weary of it quickly .

I agree with you regarding the process of restoration - much more fiddly and a lot slower than many people assume. Even cleaning the things down takes ages!

However, the 075/076 progression has been a very convenient special case in terms of parts availability. This is because the 051 and 075/076 had very long production runs - 1972-2003ish I think (latterly as the TS510 and TS760 disc cutters). Although the transition from 075 to 076 was around 1982, the 075 continued for a couple of years in parallel - no idea why. This means that the parts for an 051 or 076 are still very easy to get, both genuine new, genuine used and many as pattern parts, as they only went out of production relatively recently and there are a lot still around. The parts for the 075 can be identified by comparing part numbers in the three parts lists.

Alec

Humm, I think from what you are saying i might be best looking for a newer saw, I'm fine about fixing a saw up if it's not running but I'm not looking for something that's going to take a lot of time (i need a working saw not a hobby) maybe I should be looking for a brand other than Stihl or husvarna so i might get a slightly newer saw on a budget.

Another possibility is if I could squeeze some extra power out of the biggest saw I already have (ms460) not sure if that's possible or not?

A little word on this business .First of all I've only in my life time ever seen one 075 .I've seen several 076's though so I assume more of that model were made .

Anytime you get into a saw that old no matter who made it parts will be hard to find .Trust me as I've restored many old saws .It isn't a fact of if repair parts can be found it's the time involved and then the price involved as well .

Restoration of older saws is not for the impatient .Now I personally enjoy the challange myself but some find it a nuisance and grow weary of it quickly .[/quote

the 075... i have 3 in my shed !!! i dont think the 076 falls in to the catagory of old saw's that are difficult to get spares for.... quite possibly one of the most reliable saws ever made with spares still readily available!! 076 gets my vote :thumbup:

Now gentlemen remember we are talking globaly here .What might be available in the British Isles or Europe as a whole might not be in other parts .

Even larger saws in the Stihl line such as the 070 ,076,090 might be easily found on the west coast of Canada or the US but not so much towards the center of either country because they were big timber cutters .Cost wise they were not practical on the smaller trees in the interior .

Every larger saw of 100 cc or larger I have has came from the west coast excepting one ,an 084 Stihl .

To the subject and from my perspective get the largest saw you can afford .Milling puts a heavy load on a saw ,long cuts under heavy load .I've tried with a 76 cc Stihl ,048 which is the same displacement as a 046/460 and while it works it's extremely slow .

Under the same scenario I also used a Mac 125 and while not even on the same page as the Stihl and cut three times faster even that was slow as a snail in comparrison to a bandsaw mill .However chainsaw milling is an option to salvage usable lumber from what would normally end up as firewood .

Using that 123 cc saw painted yellow I could make about a foot a minute in 18" thick red oak ripping . I made a few 4 by 12 loading planks and that was about it for my saw milling experiance .

Edited by Al Smith

(i need a working saw not a hobby)

Send me a addy in PM so I can get a estimate.

This is all I have right now on the saw besides friends word on it good running condition. I have not had the saw in my hands being it is another whole state away from me. He said he would ship it to me to check out for someone. I have bought from this guy for a few years now and he has always been spot on and honest.

Looks like the clutch cover has some damage on lower front area.

IMG_0843.jpg.4d8466dd75c328cfe8c110568e4c03d6.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg.d612ad55615d43e90be4acb94a857236.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg.f834e63835165160f7a967c92f88cce3.jpg

Edited by Cut4fun

(North America and Europe)

-051 was allegedly released in 1972 and had points and condenser. Switched to electronic ignition in 1974.

-075 released in 1974 never had points and condenser. For 051 saws from machine number 3 001 400 exclusive use was made of the breakerless (transistor) magneto ignition system.

-early versions of the 051 and 075 had top oil caps and no chain brake option due to not having crankcase mounts.

-later versions of 051 and 075 had side oil caps and option of chain brake.

-originally both 051 and 075 had the fairbanks-morse friction starter, 051 fuel tank smaller than 075. However, due to the longer production run of 051, after 1980 the 051 shared the pawl starter and fuel tank with the 076.

-076 released in 1980. Mainly sold as 076 Super in the US and discontinued in 1986.

-084 released 1985

-TS510, TS760 share a lot of parts with 051/075/076 and had considerably longer production runs

Al is right, parts availability varies greatly between the US and the UK. Most 076 parts can still be bought over here. There are a lot of 075 ignition parts that are NLA though. Trigger units, flywheel, fuel tank etc. However, they can be replaced with 076 parts, trigger units with either the Nova II etc or the updated OEM module.

Parts availability for the 084 over here are bad and even worse in the US I hear. I remember looking up when a lot of the 084 parts were NLA from the factory a while ago and posting on here. A lot of wear parts are shared with the 088/ms880 and are still available.

IMO the 075/076 was poorly built.

-prone to holes in the fuel tank.

-the same part of the crankcase is virtually always broken underneath, as a result stones get in and bust off flywheel fins etc.

-if the seals leak on the oil pump end up with bar oil in crankcase.

-early trigger units (under flywheel) had high failure rate due to heat.

-prone to vibrating the intake tract bolts loose leading to air leaks.

-takes longer than other Stihls to pressure/vac test.

Thanks for the transition list Megatron - glad to see I wasn't too far wrong from memory. Still no idea why they built the 075 and 076 in parallel for a couple of years though.

I have no idea on the 'normal' supplies in the US, although if they discontinued the 076 fairly quickly (and didn't supply the TS510 or TS760?) in the US that would explain the difference. I would add though that I have bought a reasonable number of the 'structural' parts from the US, e.g. bar cover, muffler cover etc. at good prices. Not sure where the original poster is (location not stated) but if they're in the US perhaps one of the US sites may be able to better advise on availability for particular models.

IMO the 075/076 was poorly built.

-prone to holes in the fuel tank.

-the same part of the crankcase is virtually always broken underneath, as a result stones get in and bust off flywheel fins etc.

-if the seals leak on the oil pump end up with bar oil in crankcase.

-early trigger units (under flywheel) had high failure rate due to heat.

-prone to vibrating the intake tract bolts loose leading to air leaks.

-takes longer than other Stihls to pressure/vac test.

I don't share your overall opinion on this one. I agree with the design issue over the effect of leaking seals, and yes it has the ability to vibrate every bolt on the thing loose unless a little judicious threadlock is used (on mine it's nuts on studs for the intake, rather than bolts, so I replaced them with Nylocks - no problems) but I haven't had problems with breaking bits off. The trigger unit problem was solved and, as a user, I don't really mind how long it takes to pressure/vac test:biggrin:

For me, it's just a really satisfying saw to use. It sounds great, it's ultra-reliable and it chews its way through anything, at its own measured but unstoppable pace. It has its idiosyncrasies, and I'll admit it wouldn't be a pleasure to use on a day to day basis, but when milling it will drag a skip chain on a 47" bar on a rip cut straight through the middle of a 2ft6x16ft oak butt on a single tank of fuel - and that's good enough for me :thumbup:

Alec

Hi mate i have a old 084 and i do have a large 42 bar and chain, saws needs a new clutch and a good tune had the saw for five years, Make me a offer, it would have to be pick it up a live in the midlands. cheers stuart; mobile 07976260029

OP you might want to look into this one over your way.

I will PM you the estimate for PHO. It was what I had figured.