Any other tree surgeons with diabetes?

Shane_S

No problem TC hope all goes well and there aren't any more hypo's during the night :)

Thanks Colwoodlandcare for the reply. I think that's a good idea starting the day with slightly higher results. I try to get them nice and low and after 20mins of work I having to eat something sweet. tut.

It's great to hear from you and yeah boiled sweets or something is a great idea!

Thanks a lot.

I'm honestly not sure what thype 1 and 2 is but my mum has been insulin depnedant since she was 21 (now 77). I guess that's type 1? Anyway, I grew up knowing that my sweetie box might need to be raided at any minute (of course I didn't mind). Things were not as controlled in the 70's and 80's when I was a kid, god knows what they were like in the 50's and 60's when she first got it. No daily blood tests and plenty of hypos (insulin reactions as we called them then). I got quite good as a 10 year old, sorting out mum who was in a deep hypo and finding milk, sugar lumps, mars bars etc. when people had be idea what I was on about and thought she was a nutter.

Things are obviously much better now with the control technology you type 1 guys have. It's still not a perfect science though when you have varying workloads etc.

The point of my post? My mum is 77 and still in full health. Not blind or any of the other things they told here she would be and she's had the full version for well over 50 years. So, I suppose the point of the post is good luck and don't worry too much. Look after yourself, be open about it (I know a few people who try to hide it) and crack on.

Absolutely brilliant, thank you for posting…when we first found out, earlier this year, that our 9 year old child had diabetes and we were told about the possible side affects it was scary… fantastic to hear about people who’ve lived with it for years and who are healthy, active and old!!!!

Thank you

Yeah..me too, type 1. Only had it for 6years, late on set. Got sent on a 4 day course by my local NHS authority (ask to be sent on this course, BDEC Diabetes Learning Programme), which taught me a lot. I generally don't take my fast acting during work days and have greatly reduced my insulin to carb ratio at other times, which has allowed me to lose 20kg in weight over the last 2 years.

You have to have a good recognition of a hypo, especially when your up a tree for a few hours, climbing really does burn those sugars (carbs), and will to burn even after you have stopped exercise!

Exercise and a lower lipid diet (to lower your cholesterol, without taking Statins) is a great combination to keep weight off and diabetes under control, less weight means less insulin! More insulin makes you more hungry(?)

It's also a good way to eat a bit more healthily.

Any questions please ask, and I will try and answer. Of course everyones diabetes is different.

Lower Lipid Diet Sheet.pdf

Stereo... That's wonderful to hear about your mum getting on with it and having full health :) I was scared when I got it told the horror stories that 'could' happen but you have to carry on. I am in good shape and a lot fitter than most of the people around me due to all the exercise and activities I do.

Redmoose... sounds like you are doing great and crack on with your job fine. like yourself I feel hypo's coming on well in advance, which is very handy. I shall look into the attachments you have sent too.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Take care.