Alternative to Blakes

WorcsWuss

I've had a search and I know this has been covered, but where do you guys recommend I go from a Blakes and why?

I'm getting a little hacked with my Blakes, on 11mm rope it can bind up with the big old split tail I have.

Without investing in a load of new kit, what do you think is a good alternative?

I want to stick with DdRT and ideally I don't want to shell out 70 quid for a hitchclimber kit [although it is on my christmas list :001_cool:

I ascend on the Blakes, use it as a back up & high anchor for limb walking but come down on a figure 8 [really fast :001_tongue:].

I have a lanyard with a VT on the end of it for work positioning, and I like it so much I'm going to make up another really long one to use as well.

What friction hitch could I use with my existing 13mm split tail [i know I know, don't say it's too fat...!] which will jam up less than a Blakes?

Thanks

Simon

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers lads.

I will try to set up the knut!

Does this self-tend? My blakes runs up by itself on a pulley off the standing end of the climbing line.

That isn't a knut, is a howard hitch with a knut finish, it will tend easier than a blames for sure. A straight forward knut would be another choice.:001_smile:

Which bit of it is a howard hitch? There doesn't look to be a lot of it left in there...!

Is a closed hitch going to work with my gecko split tail? Going to get a bit messy when I stick a buntline or something on the end of it...? Would I not be better with an open hitch like a helical?