Mans best friend

welwell

Interestingly it has been demonstrated that children that grow up with dogs and are therefore exposed to the bugs, that were mentioned so scornfully earlier it this thread, are more healthy that those who life in a sterile human only household.

Yes, this sounds like hormesis, 'generally-favorable biological responses to low exposures to toxins and other stressors.'

It would seem that hormesis is not generally accepted by the medical profession but is accepted anecdotaly. The old adage that......' you had to eat a peck of dirt before you die', would seem to suggest that the principle was well known and accepted.

A peck being equivalent to 16 dry pints by volume - a fair bit of dirt

However, this is not a situation I would be comfortable with, and more to the point I value the almost limitless unconditional emotion (however you label it) that I receive from my dogs. They hold no grudges……..

Of course they don't hold grudges .....to do so would be an emotional response wouldn't it!

Had to have our 7 year old black lab put to sleep earlier this month due to what was thought to be a bleed on the brain, never used to take much notice of him and it seemed a bind to have to walk him. Since he died there is a huge hole in our family, we got the dog as a pup as companion for our then 3 year old son, we all miss him and we are eagerly awaiting a local lab breeders telephone call to tell us that the her bitch has pupped, meant to be 3rd of November.

If you want a dog I would advise you to get a puppy as they grow up to fit round you, they are as tying as you want them to be, you will never be more loved or recpected than you are by your dog!.

It's not often that Dagmar and I see eye to eye on anything. Dogs do not feel love. That is not rational. If dogs are elevated by their owner to such a lofty position in the family unit and bestowed with the emotions of Humans, it follows that other complex animal species are also capable of such emotions.

Now I don't want to start some crazy debate on animal rights here as this was a `should I get a dog' thread. But if dogs can feel and give love, then so can animals who are eaten by us, skinned by us and hunted by us. To say that dogs have the complex neurological capacity to feel love is to say so much more about the way we live our lives. Quite frankly and I don't mean this in a personal way or to insult anyone, but such things are ignorant of the most basic understanding of biology.

If one dog is elevated above the standing of a human then we have to say that being vegan is the only logical conclusion. Unless we are callous uncaring and by in-action, vindictive and cruel.

I do not on the whole like dogs, or the concept of pet ownership. There is no famous saying about not trusting anyone who hates dogs! I saw a family` never hurt a fly' dog rip into a 3 year olds face on a beach a few years back. It was an unprovoked attack. If it had been my child I would have killed the dog on the spot. Indeed if a dog ever did I would. I wonder how any of you dog fans would react to me killing your dog for attacking my child? I've asked this before and the reaction is usually quite shocking.

With the right training and attitude I have no problem with working dogs, be it guard dogs or hunting etc.

But sharing of dog saliva and faeces in the public open spaces is not fair. I'm not some kind of extremist. I've also been careful to not insult anyone here, even by implication, unlike others. please be respectful. This is a discussion.

Peace.

what is love anyway?!! i think the word "affection" would be more appropriate when describing family dogs.i agree with jason that dogs that attack humans unprovoked should be immediately destroyed but how many humans attack humans unprovoked and cause harm to children and are soon at large again in society?

what is love anyway?!! i think the word "affection" would be more appropriate when describing family dogs.i agree with jason that dogs that attack humans unprovoked should be immediately destroyed but how many humans attack humans unprovoked and cause harm to children and are soon at large again in society?

Yes look at the armed forces (under orders) attacking people unprovoked in Afganistan and Iraq. thousands and thousands of children killed by allied ordinance. No poppies for them either.

Golly the world is a mess. We need super heroes in capes.

Wow..........bit of a hornets nest, just a simple, dogs yes or no would have sufficed. Didn't appreciate the strength of feelings there are out there. Me....... well I agree dogs do indeed appear to be dirty animals with dirty habilts but I also would like to think that there is more to dog ownership than clearing up faeces and constant vigilance against the hound chewing some 3 year old's face off. Most of the peope I know say that looking at the greater picture dog ownership is a good thing.

Anyway put a deposit down on a puppy earlier today.

Thanks y'all