Stihl 260 as bad as some people say?

lee74

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brill saw, never go to the woods without one, even my dog has one - see picture

But I did see one old boy, chain smoker coughing away when using his old 026, which was doing the same belching smoke and misfiring - lovely pair:sneaky2:

Did wonder if he tuned his saw that way:001_tt2:

I did my first year in the woods with an MS260.

It was a good enough saw, reliable and efficient on fuel.

That said, switching to a 346xp was a huge improvement. Much much faster, noticeably lower vibrations and fumes. I now have two 346s, the 45cc and the 50cc. Even the 45cc is a faster saw than the 260.

Jonathan

I did my first year in the woods with an MS260.

It was a good enough saw, reliable and efficient on fuel.

That said, switching to a 346xp was a huge improvement. Much much faster, noticeably lower vibrations and fumes. I now have two 346s, the 45cc and the 50cc. Even the 45cc is a faster saw than the 260.

Jonathan

Are you sure it's being so far North that's the problem with your old 260

:thumbup:

I fitted an 8T sprocket to my 280 - really made an improvement, must try it on the 260 - worth a try

Are you sure it's being so far North that's the problem with your old 260

:thumbup:

I fitted an 8T sprocket to my 280 - really made an improvement, must try it on the 260 - worth a try

Yeah yeah yeah! :001_tt2:

I do miss the narrow back handle on the Stihl, but little else. It's things like the air filter constantly needing to be cleaned that bugged me.

Basically, the MS260 cut wonderfully when freshly sharpened, cleaned, air filter cleaned and lovingly maintained. One tank later, you were back to slowsville, population 1!

As I said, the 45cc 346 is definitely a faster saw. Pulls a 15 inch bar like the 260 does a 13.

Yeah yeah yeah! :001_tt2:

I do miss the narrow back handle on the Stihl, but little else. It's things like the air filter constantly needing to be cleaned that bugged me.

Basically, the MS260 cut wonderfully when freshly sharpened, cleaned, air filter cleaned and lovingly maintained. One tank later, you were back to slowsville, population 1!

As I said, the 45cc 346 is definitely a faster saw. Pulls a 15 inch bar like the 260 does a 13.

Good point about air fliters blocking - all my Stihl will soon block up their air filters but when I bought an old 266XP with x4 screws to access the air filter I thought what a pain but for some reason it doesn't block up the air filter. Have other found the same?:confused1:

Brill saw, never go to the woods without one, even my dog has one - see picture

But I did see one old boy, chain smoker coughing away when using his old 026, which was doing the same belching smoke and misfiring - lovely pair:sneaky2:

Did wonder if he tuned his saw that way:001_tt2:

thats just cruelty to animals,buy the dog a 346xp or i will report you to the RSPCA :biggrin:

i had a 260 for years never had a problem with it and now use a 261 and i find it just as good as the 260 if not better but the 346 is also a very good saw i think if you have any of the above you aint going to go far wrong.

Just bought a 261 after much pressure to buy the Husky 346, hope it doesn't let us down!