Whats the hardest Arb job ?

born2trot

Shortwooding at £13/tonne was hard, pruning Xmas trees pretty horrible, managing Sitka plantations to help the rich limit their taxable liabilities very grim, Variations on Utility contract across England & Wales just hideous, but the toughest by far is Council Arb Officer: several reminders every day of just how ignorant of trees the general public truly are...

I loved shortwooding back in the 80's and 90's, used to do about 12 ton per day, in 0.20m tree size, logs, bars, and pulp, @ £8 per ton, good money back then. used to go through a 254 every 6 months or so.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignore me; I'm a cynical old bastard. Grumpy Old Man at 43! Never thought I'd live this long. Seriously: I'm very lucky. I work with trees and I LOVE it. Wouldn't change a thing. £13/tonne was split with Keith, so £6.50/tonne each. Aimed for 15 a day between us: never made quite enough. But, by Christ, I was ripped to the tits. Out before dawn, back after dusk. Half a tonne of brash in the plughole after my bath, eat everything in the house, drink like a Viking, asleep by 8.30 latest. Happy Days!

Ignore me; I'm a cynical old bastard. Grumpy Old Man at 43! Never thought I'd live this long. Seriously: I'm very lucky. I work with trees and I LOVE it. Wouldn't change a thing. £13/tonne was split with Keith, so £6.50/tonne each. Aimed for 15 a day between us: never made quite enough. But, by Christ, I was ripped to the tits. Out before dawn, back after dusk. Half a tonne of brash in the plughole after my bath, eat everything in the house, drink like a Viking, asleep by 8.30 latest. Happy Days!

Yes they were happy days, i remember sometimes coming out from the wood so knackered, i was shaking, you don't see people working like that these days, but everyone else did too,that was the norm, life was far simpler too, far less rules and regs to comply with too, yes the work was brutal but we were happy so thats good.

Cheers.