Sussex CS38 short course/cheap?

Pedroski

First post here....so to start with, Hello All!

I'm after doing my CS38 - I'm an old codger of over 40, self-employed, working full time alongside a a landscape contractor (and have done for many years), family to support and big bills, and can't afford to take much time off + pay heaps of course fees. I've done a fair bit of rock climbing over the years, I know my knots and ropes and how to get safely up and down trees, I have my own suitable climbing gear. But I really want to do some time rescue training and get assessed.

There's a fella (mate of mine) who does our aerial saw work and to be honest that side of it doesn't really appeal - I'd rather just set up lines and be ready for rescue.

I've looked into a week at Plumpton for their course, but it's something like £500, plus I'd lose £500 for a week of not working... it's just too much.

Any advice much appreciated :)

Thanks very much Andrew. I've found his website - for anyone else interested it's Tree Surgery Courses and Training - Keith Yates Tree Experience "Keith Yates Tree Experience".

I've just checked Plumpton College fees again.... how's this for CS38.....

"Tuition fee: £950 Price held

Registration Fee: £42.75 Assessment fee: £83.50"

FFS man, how the hell can anyone justify that for a 5 day course while having to earn a living at the same time??? KYTE is £480 + assessment.

Edited by Pedroski

Depending on where you are in Sussex it might be worth giving David Rossney a call on 01580 712 417 or email [email protected]. He runs a company called esus forestry who just deal with training. He's a really nice bloke and if you qualify for any funding he'll sort all the stuff out. When I looked at doing my CS38 it worked out £300-£350 for the training and the ticket because of the funding i qualified for. Hope this helps, Tim

Thanks folks. I've spoken to Keith and to Scott and will be sorting something out in the new year. Scott is only a few miles up the road from me, and Keith can arrange something also up the road in Guildford. I'm hoping to get this sorted in the new year.

:thumbup: