Collybia fusipes

Will Hinchliffe

I just found what I think are dried up old Collybia fusipes on the toes of a large roadside Oak that we are due to deadwood and to take some weight out of a couple of branches. Supposed to be done tomorrow but we did about half this afternoon because we had completed our other work I found the fungi when I came out of the tree.

I have only seen Collybia on one other Oak before and it failed a month later the roots failed/ snapped.

Any one got any nice up to date info on Collybia or oppinions on it.

Cheers Will

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the Collybia are found in either grass, leaf litter or moss...on dead wood and such....from what I can establish. However the mycologists are moving them about due to dna classification distinctions, I would have thought this was relevant myself.

Collybia fusipes...is found at the base of deciduous trees and affects the sapwood of the roots , so it is said. This would affect the crown and so dieback would be present in conjunction with this infection.

The rot is said to be dry and yellowish.

Having said that, I can add that the reported cases of windthrow due to this fungus are very rare.

(Strouts & Winter )

I hope this helps.:001_smile:

I have observed Collybia fusipes in a similar location to that which you describe, and on a number of different oak trees in varying states of maturity.

The common factor appears to be associated with stressed roots as a result of either damage through severance, water logging or compaction.

Considering also that the other species of Collybia are all saproxylic, that is live of dead wood, then my feeling is that its presence at the base of these trees is a symptom of root issues.

Considering the location of this tree, and the target area you describe, then I would suggest that you undertake an investigation of the tree’s buttresses using an AirSpade and see how much root damage the tree has sustained.

There is some die back in the crown but no more than you would expect on an oak of its age (200+). It has also lost about a fifth of its crown due to branch failure in the past. There are also some cavities visible between the buttresses.

The tree is situated on the top of a steep 4m bank and is part of a hedgerow that borders farmland and a sunken road. The road is single track and very quiet. ( We had about 5 vehicles 4 pedestrians and 4 horses come through all day). The next Oak tree along has died back and is sparse I will have a better look around the base for fungal fruiting bodies..

I think the next step should be to investigate the nature and extent of any root decay.

I have never investigated root decay before but I need to learn so I will have a careful dig around tomorrow and take some photos of the tree if I get time.

Cheers Andrew,

I was writing my last post at the same time as you posted your last post.

Thanks for the advice we do not have an air spade so it will have to be a careful dig at the collar. Its not really my decision what to do. I need to inform my boss so he can decide weather we continue with the work we started today or do something else .

Im really keen to investigate the roots as I have never done it.

I learnt a lot with a little dig.

Photo one the buttresses.

Photo two Colybia fusipes.

Photo three The excavation - everything below the soil line in this photo is very soft. ( This buttress is one of the main tension roots)

Photo four nature of the decay .

Photo five decayed sap wood and mycelium.

The rot is present on all the buttress roots and does not seem to be targeting already dead roots. It seems to rot from the outside in. and doesn't extend above the soil line.

As the tree is weighted across the road and the worst of the rot is on the field side I would have thought this tree presents a hazard to the road users. Although if it fell its quite likely that it would bridge the road landing on the opposite bank.

IMG_1845.jpg.7d04ec6e7e9cb58b0bac5d5effe4f8d6.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg.5fe5917ea17fd19e3a0c3f0a71f33a61.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg.e08b3d0b3cced7b7f5ec81d719872672.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg.7ff0febbef54f6494badebb8fdf60b12.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg.6093ec35493fb437bd747870fd866361.jpg

Reading between the lines here abit I got to thinking how many times the trees' roots must have to have been affected by mechanical intervention....

I gather the road is adjacent. At least once when the road was put down. This will affect the soilroot environment drastically. Altering water drainage issues and oxgenation so microorganic population and cycles. This can be said to have affected the bulk soil and rhizosphere then.....?

If the otherside is a field then I can hazard a guess that the top 600mm of soil will have been disturbed on numerous occasions. Much like the way a trees physiological patterns can evolve during a lifespan ie, pollarding regularly, perhaps the individual becomes able to live with aggressive intrusions that alter soilroot environments?? It has been suggested that the fibrous roots that are present in the top 600mm of soil die off in any given yearly cycle ( deciduous trees ) and are formed at the start of the growing period as they are required. This would make the plant seemingly more efficient. At least dynamic by route of adaptability and so more efficient...given that much of the processes of life are an equation that strive to function on a principle success, the tree is able to respond to the environment....essential(ly) cool.....:001_cool:

This tree described above would be the perfect candidate for an investigation in to the extent of decay so as to determine how compromised the stabilty is. The perfect tool is obviously an AirSpade.

I cant think of any way that such an investigation could really have the wrong effect.:confused1:

Cheers Bundle2 I think you are right it would be a great one to do with an air spade and I think you could make a really informed decision after investigating it in this way. Unfortunately the tree belongs to a 9000 ha estate and I think they would rather pay to have it down rather than incur the cost of repeated investigations and eventually having to fell it any way. I am not in a position to convince them either way.

If anyone wanted to do an air spade investigation on it for research purposes I could probably ask my boss to convince the estate to give permission. I would love this to happen.

And I suppose the other thing to consider is that large estates would have been in the practice in the past of harvesting their timber for the resource it is...building material, fuel and so on. Not really surprising then in some ways that new fangled practices are not seen as anything other than that maybe....?