Whats a KiloNewton?

Andy Collins

Pete im sure 1kn equals 100kgs as this is what my ropes are rated against its a measure of force but the numbers relate to the weight of an object

1kn equals 100kgs of force

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

READ IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!! FORCE AND MASS ARE DIFFERENT YOU RETARD!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 N = (1 kg)(1 m/s²) or 1 N = 1 kg.m/s²

What is Weight?

Weight is a measure of force. The measured force is gravity acting on a mass. It is expressed in Newtons (SI) or Pounds (English)

Force = mass x acceleration

Weight = mass x acceleration due to gravity or W=mg

Where: W is Weight, m is mass, and g is acceleration due to gravity

Approximate values for gravity on earth are:

g = 9.807 m/s² (SI units)

g = 32.17 ft/s² (English units)

The weight of an object is the gravitational force which is exerted on that object which causes it to accelerate downward at the acceleration due to gravity, or g. So, we can write for the weight of a 1 kg mass:

W = mg

W = (1 kg)(9.807 m/s²)

W = 9.807 N

The weight of a 1 kg mass is 9.807 Newtons (usually rounded off to 9.81)

Much of our confusion with Kilonewtons is our common misunderstandings of mass and weight caused by carelessly interchanging the two systems of measurement. We commonly refer to how much we weigh in pounds or kilograms. For example, I weight 167 pounds or 75.9 kilograms. While we all understand what this means, we don't realize we are comparing a measurement of force (pounds) to a measurement of mass (kilograms). To be accurate in the IS system, we would state our weight in Newtons as 744 N (0.74 kN).

I arrive at this by using the formula W=mg

W = 75.9kg x 9.807m/s²

Weight = 744 kg.m/s² or 744 Newtons

While my mass would not change, my weight would be different on the moon (27.8 lbs.), Mars (63.293 lbs), or in the space shuttle (0 lbs.). The missing or assumed value in our statements is the attraction of the force of gravity on my body. (Just for the record, my mass in the English system would remain constant at 5.202 slug)

What does the 25 kN rating on my carabiner mean?

1 kN (kiloNewton) = 1000 N

25kN stamped on a product would be equivalent to 25000 N

I kN = 224 LB

25 kN = 5600 lbs of force

There is no conversion. A kiloNewton is a thousand kilogram metres per second squared -- 1000 (kg * m) / (s^2).

If what you mean is a kiloNewton to kg * cm / s^2, the conversion is 1kN = 100 000 kg * cm / s^2

I just got the calc wrong typing fast

says it right there