Level 3 tech cert

sloth

I attended the 3 day preparation course with tree life which is very worth while and if its going may even try and attend for just the failed exercise. Im annoyed at myself really as intended to try a shadow some surveyors regarding this subject to at least have an idea but i think even with experience the task felt like it would have been difficult. Going to spend the year gaining plenty of experience and keep upto date with my current knowledge. We shouldn't be bummed out about failing some of these units, we have come a long way to get this far and worked hard. I think the management exercise will be running for a few more years yet (hopefully)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed ABC this morning & they emailed me back letting me know by what % i failed on. Does anyone know whether it's worth getting one of my papers which i got 48% re-marked? Also it costs £100 per exam re-mark, or i could just pay £55 per re-sit next October. Not sure on what to do.

Hi everyone, thanks for the encouragement. Took me only a day or two to get over it, especially as my boss didn't take any longer :-) It's annoying, but Matt, you're right, focussing on one module only should enable me to do loads better next year. And I've got 11 months to practice my timing at work.

Will probably request a remark next week, just to make sure I don't repeat any mistakes. However, it can take them up to 3 weeks to send me their report, possibly too late for you to request one, too, Bundle2 (remark to be requested within 28 days)?

Verena

Does anyone know when the new BS 5837 is due to be published?

If you have the money, get it remarked or at least get your paper so you can read their comments. I wonder who does the marking. Is it the examiner that took the exercise on the day or do they verify the papers between themselves?

I think it'll be an external examiner. But there's no chance to get the paper back, according to Daniel Moult from ABC. Bit mean, but maybe they don't want us to pass on any answers?

I know the Woodland exam was marked by the invigilator who was present on the day I took the exam. I think from past "examiners remarks" that the Plant Supply & etc was also marked by the invigilator present when I took the exam...so then might it be safe to assume it is marked by the body present on the day?

I am not certain but have my suspicions thay this is the case....

Thanx Verena...It is too bad that a percentage mark is not given as we would then be able to make a decision within the time frame about remarking....ABC are not all that are they...?

Anyway.....I have to say I agree that passing is very disappointing but it is not the be all and end all. The whole learning experience as well as the material we covered is of massive significance to us all and brings us forward as arboriculturists...making all of us better at what we do to varying degrees. Its a tough day and a bit of a trial by ordeal that our efforts are measured by a single performance, and in some cases, only a few marks. Be sensible about it and try to keep a sense of perspective. The reality is that it takes a lot of time and effort, as well as dedication to get through the process and the results should not deter us from returning to fight another day !

Anyway.....I have to say I agree that passing is very disappointing but it is not the be all and end all. The whole learning experience as well as the material we covered is of massive significance to us all and brings us forward as arboriculturists...making all of us better at what we do to varying degrees. Its a tough day and a bit of a trial by ordeal that our efforts are measured by a single performance, and in some cases, only a few marks. Be sensible about it and try to keep a sense of perspective. The reality is that it takes a lot of time and effort, as well as dedication to get through the process and the results should not deter us from returning to fight another day !

Thats definately the right attitude Tim, & one I share from experience.

Keep on the path :thumbup1:

• 1 month later...

I have just received my remark from ABC for Unit 5 (still failed), anyone still here to discuss it? There are some useful comments which might help others to pass this year, but I also have a few questions and I'd be grateful for any help.

I'm not sure if my £100 remark fee covers this, but I'll probably send a reply, as some of their comments don't make sense to me...

I shall try and muster some seriously waning interest...might be good for me !

I was told my mark after I asked....I dont care. I thought it was a bloody silly exercise in beating people with a "student" stick...needless to say then, Id be interested to learn what insight their remarks have given you Verena ! I feel sure I can learn something. I need to if Im gonna get it out the way next year !

Tim