newbie looking to get into tree surgery/arbiculture/forrestry work

Maxnaggle

Hello everyone, new here so hi! I was wondering if i could be pointed in the right direction, im 21, looking for a change of career. ive been thinking about which way to go with what for a loooooong time, and have decieded that i want to give tree surgery a crack.... so firstly, whats the difference between a tree surgeon/arborist - and also forrestry work?

seccondly, how would i go about getting the necessary qualifications? ive had a look and theres college, (but im guessing thats not very hands on..?)

I've emailed a local company (bristol) just to see what they say about apprenticeships, if thats an option.

Ive also had a look and have found a website which offer all the training and courses

Treeschool - Arborist and Training Provider -

has anyone used this company, if so are they any good?

My question really is which option would be the most realistic in terms of actually learning the trade (not just learning how to pass a test). I still need to be able to work at my current job so i can pay rent/eat e.t.c...

great forum by the way !

Max

buuuuuuuuump.....

How did everyone here go about getting qualified?

alright pal, if your really keen then do what i did, i put an add on here offering to work a day for free, that way you will get the chance to see if the jobs for you, and the employer gets to see what your like. I hope some 1 out there gives you the chance. youll never look back, i assure u :001_smile:

yeah i was thinking that - was just wondering weather it would be worth the money and time going to college to study it or just going ahead and getting the tickets and then trying to get a job... because then you have to reply on the employer to teach you well.... ??

college can be a good option gives u more of a academic grasp of what tree work is all about and gives u a good taster for the job (not that it is anything like the real world) but it give a bit of every thing tree climbing saw use all that kinda stuff, its then less stress for a employer to try and give u a all round experiance and plus u would most proberley just be brash dragging for quite some time, it also gives u a choice of where to take the job as if u want to be on the ground or up in the tree or if u want to go down a full on academic root, and plus u get some kit and tickets that can save u a bit of dollar in the long run, i went and studyed arb at cannington its not that far from u, and is a ok college, and the tutor's are good there, i have a few people talk to me about wanting to do this and well i taken them tree climbing and they have pooped them selves and not wanted to do it,i think its a good starting base at college to get a feel for things