New Chainsaw Training

Jonesie

We are just about to launch a new chainsaw training day, aimed at the domestic market. This would be done at Kingswood Training Services. Lantra and NPTC approved Tree Surgery Training Courses | Kingswood Training - Chainsaw Training, Arb Training, Climbing Courses, Forestry Courses

After a few discussions with domestic customers asking if there is anywhere that does a chainsaw training day, to give them the basics in chainsaw use. We have come up with this. Let me know what you think, I know your mostly pros on here but the domestic market is big and I would rather have something to offer them than nothing at all when they ask.

Please give me your honest feedback, I think we are the first to offer this and can offer it as a package with a chainsaw.

ONE DAY - INTRODUCTION TO SAFE AND EFFICIENT USE OF CHAINSAWS.

Course will be in 2 parts:

Workshop based:

A look in detail at how the chain works, and how to avoid kickback

Correct sharpening, chain tension and why it matters! This would include choosing the correct files, understanding filing angles and how chain tension affects cutting speed.

The chain brake - what it does, and how to use it properly

Cleaning the air and fuel filters - in order to develop full power the engine needs a constant supply of clean air and petrol.

The starter mechanism - How to replace the cord, and re-tension the spring.

Fueling and lubrication - two-stroke mixing and the chain lubrication system.

Protective clothing - what you should wear and how it protects you.

Tension and compression in timber - understand when the saw is likely to become trapped

Forest based:

Site safety - lone working - does someone at the very least know where you are and what you are doing? Do you have a suitable First Aid Kit? Does your mobile have a signal?

Safe starting procedures - how to start the saw ergonomically from cold and hot

Safety checks - a look at how to ensure the the saw is operating correctly before using it

Stance and grip - how to hold the saw, and where it should be in relation to your body.

Using the throttle correctly - getting the saw to produce ample power without blowing it up!

Pulling and pushing chains - how the saw reacts in relation to the wood

Cleaning and storage after use

Saturdays 9am - 4pm (or 10 - 5) if preferred. Bring a packed lunch and flask and ppe if owned. £79 + vat

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be putting emphasis on securing logs while cutting and keeping their feet out of the way, knowing their limitations and keeping children, their family and other at a safe distance. Knowing when their saw is blunt and why when it hits stone or metal it goes blunt. Also when there is smoke coming from the chain and the guide bar is going through all the metal tempering colours there are issues to be addressed. Finally even though they lend their friends and neighbours their vacumn cleaner and wheel barrow they should think twice before they lend them their chainsaw.

I think it's a good idea to train people in whatever they need to know, as long as they know the limitations of what they have learnt.

my mistake. Its a one day course. Seems alot to take in for one day.

I could also see a hard-up chap seeing their self as "fully insured" and "qualified at kingswood" and dropping a few leaflets and taking work from established companies.

People are always complaining on here about people buying saws from b & q and taking our work, odd job men etc. I feel this kind encourages people into the industry. When already individuals on here are finding it hard to make a living.

Is there any limit on what size of saw they are advised to use?

my mistake. Its a one day course. Seems alot to take in for one day.

I could also see a hard-up chap seeing their self as "fully insured" and "qualified at kingswood" and dropping a few leaflets and taking work from established companies.

People are always complaining on here about people buying saws from b & q and taking our work, odd job men etc. I feel this kind encourages people into the industry. When already individuals on here are finding it hard to make a living.

Is there any limit on what size of saw they are advised to use?

I really don't think this would be a problem... many people I know who 'acquire' saws are genuinely terrified of them and desperately need someone to give them a grounding in the basics.

If anyone does take on work after a course like this I doubt very much it would be significant enough to contribute to a professionals income.

I think a course like this is a great idea and perhaps it should be offered with all new saw sales...?

interesting idea and plan

what kind or instructor- public ratio

I personally would loose the Pull start section as most of there saws will be siezed or broken before then:blushing:

Sorry in all reality I think most will never do it and if they come into get some cord then might as well get it fitted

Adjusting tick over would be more beneficial.

or Bar care

or adjusting Oil flow

would a video aimed at Joe public lasting 2 hrs ish be worth doing

certainly it has surprised me Stihl or Husqvarna have not done it

as you could have it playing in the shop or sell a DVD with the saw:thumbup: