Keen amateur...

WorcsWuss

Right... this is what I have..

CS30, 31, 32, 33, 36 & 37.

I have been using a chainsaw since around 1996 when I was working at home on the farm. I did my NPTC stuff in 1999 when I started working for other people, mostly hedgelaying, felling, pollarding etc.

I now work in an office doing something else [have done since 2003 - booo!] but have continued to work with my saw rather more than just as a hobbyist. I still maintain the woods, orchards & Willows at home as well as helping out friends with felling, pruning etc. Plus all the firewood for our home, which only has solid fuel.

I do climb but within a very narrow set of parameters, I know my limits and, to be honest, I've always been terrified of heights! [hence 'wuss'..! I've been helping a friend take a tree down lately and he rigs lights for festivals & gigs, he was up and down it like a squirrel, I take a bit more time making sure every knot is good & biner isn't cross loaded!!]

I climb in one of two ways, either doubled rope, blakes hitch on a split tail, footloop prusik [which I've choked onto a Croll lately to speed things up a bit] & figure 8 back down or on spurs, wire flip & adjustable lanyard back up, again with a figure 8 on an access line choked to the the stem to get down quickly.

I used to have an MS200T but I sold that a long long time ago when I gave up on life and went to work in an office, and I have been trying to get my hands on another one lately, but for now I just use my trusty MS260 [which I think I might be more attached to than I am my own children!]

I have a full PPE kit which I do keep renewed.

So what I want to know is:

1. When I go up a tree at home [mostly just to knock off lower limbs to clear the combine] if the HSE man turns up could I [or heaven forbid, the old man!] get prosecuted for anything? I do think this is OK though?

2. If I am up a tree for a friend on their property [this would more likely be for a sectional take down - not often with rigging though - not many friends can get combines in their gardens!], same question. I think this might NOT be OK?

I don't charge for any of this and nor do I have any insurance - although I suppose one could argue that I am operating on the farm's PL etc...

I'm sure there will be pro's here who do everything by the book who can't stand people like me who do it solely for love rather than as a living so to them I apologise!

I will assure you though that I have plenty of experience and, perhaps most importantly, am acutely aware of my limits and the consequences of getting it wrong [which is something which I am amazed that some of the people I help are not, some saw handling I see is terrifying!] so I would like to think I can hold my own.

Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated!

Also, I would like to do just a 1 day brush up & take 38 & 39 assessments. Anyone have any recommendations / suggestions?

Thanks!

Simon

I'm sure there will be pro's here who do everything by the book who can't stand people like me who do it solely for love rather than as a living so to them I apologise!

Thanks!

Simon

:congrats:

Apologise for what?

Thats what we are all in it for, otherwise we would all be working in offices or factories imo.

As for the legal side of things for you i cannot comment sorry.

I used to climb on may own (with a groundie) when I was less experienced. Now I'm more experienced I always climb with someone who can do aerial rescue - you'd think it would be the other way round....

If you asked yourself this question - you're helping out a friend in their garden. If you have an accident in the tree and you're knocked out or can't get down by yourself - what's the plan? The only person who can help you is another climber.

Most of us bend the rules, assess risk and make decisions not totally inline with HS. I'm one of them. But these days I always do any climbing with a another climber on hand.

My position is similar to yours in some respects - amateur, with reasonable experience within a very tightly defined range (defined by myself).

I have looked into the insurance side quite carefully, as my main activity is felling large oaks for milling, so I'm always on somebody else's land, often with a right of way, usually with an 066M and an 076.

Oddly enough, so long as it's not for hire or reward (i.e. you're not being paid for the job) your liabilities are covered under your household contents insurance. This is because you are allowed to use your household contents anywhere you want (and are still covered). This is the same public liability cover as if you were using them on your own land. You'll probably find that if you want a statement to confirm this, your insurance company will be happy to point you in the right direction, in writing (mine always have been, through various different insurers). So yes, you're fine doing both 1. and 2. in your original post.

Of course, this doesn't cover your equipment or your health, but that's what personal judgement is all about. It will be a sad world when those of us who do things like this for pleasure, with due care for the risks involved, are no longer able to - thankfully we're not there yet!

Alec

Thanks guys. Interesting point about hire / reward & household insurance.

I have only ever climbed with someone else on hand, although in the old days 'aerial rescue' would have been performed out of the bucket of the telehandler...

Although he has no CS38 [like me] the friend I have been helping lately is an experienced climber and is quite keen to tag along and help out on other jobs I do at home, so I guess from a safety point of view, while not being belt & braces, I am fairly well covered.