What's new? Everything, it seems to me!

Grandad

Would have loved to see the gear people climbed with 30 year ago. 1 piece of rope for everything I bet.

Sent from my aye phone using Tapatalk

Three strand and then multiplait. Three knot system until some bright spark came up with prussik loop.

The 3 knot system made you take shortcuts as it meant retying every time you changed position so a fair bit of free climbing to save time and hassle with knots.

Bushman bowsaws that bounced on the cuts and had your thumb:thumbdown:

Working in Levi's, no helmets. Hemp and manilla lowering ropes and they were heavy!

Matadors to pull and lift and pushed beyond their limit.

Big fires of dead elm that burnt for days.

Stihl 075, 404 chain with the rakers filed off that cut like hell and pulled your arms off.

Real good times:thumbup:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three strand and then multiplait. Three knot system until some bright spark came up with prussik loop.

The 3 knot system made you take shortcuts as it meant retying every time you changed position so a fair bit of free climbing to save time and hassle with knots.

Bushman bowsaws that bounced on the cuts and had your thumb:thumbdown:

Working in Levi's, no helmets. Hemp and manilla lowering ropes and they were heavy!

Matadors to pull and lift and pushed beyond their limit.

Big fires of dead elm that burnt for days.

Stihl 075, 404 chain with the rakers filed off that cut like hell and pulled your arms off.

Real good times:thumbup:

You know, when I was at college they were still teaching the three knot system and they thought that it was ok to drain and fill cavities. I, the student had to put them straight on that, (the cavities). I don't think they held it against me as they asked me back to teach there.

You know, when I was at college they were still teaching the three knot system and they thought that it was ok to drain and fill cavities. I, the student had to put them straight on that, (the cavities). I don't think they held it against me as they asked me back to teach there.

First place I worked we had a set of cavity tools. Then Mr Shigo came along and put a stop to all that nonsense:001_smile:

Where were you at college?

I still have issues with that college so I won't name it; I did the RFS Cert Arb there. They promised us that we would be able to do all the practical exams as well as the theory, when it came down to it all we got was the theory exam, they never did arrange for the practicals, let us all down with no explanation...

I decided to arrange to do the practicals privately, arranged the trees, dates everything. There was four of us who were going to do it; first one dropped out, then another rang me the night before the arranged day and dropped out, I had to cancel as it would have been too expensive for just the two remaining to pick up the bill. I never did get that certificate but I did at least pass the theory...

I have only a few pics and these on film, scanner not working so difficult to post the few I have. I will post some as and when...

Bow saw? Bow saw? We couldn't afford a bow saw, we had a trained beaver

mmmmm Beaver:001_tt2:

Easy Paul!

Think it's my weight that stops me filling cavities as often these days, mind..

Dont you have a trained beaver for that Mark?:lol:

Did i take that too far?:blushing: