Ms441 siezed

blazer

Just had a text from my son working for a local tree company, to say one of their MS 441 saws has seized, he may bring it home for me tonight - great:confused1:

Firstly is there any 'recomended' method of trying to move the piston.

Secondly, if it frees up and the compression is ok to run?

Thirdly, are you interested Spud - I don't have the time to sort it out ( I fancy doing more saw work but am too busy with the shoot)

You may be lucky and be able to save the cylinder as I did on my 441 but the piston and rings, if seized, will be shot and you'll have to replace them, then you'll have to find out what caused the seizure, if it was bad fuel mix then fine but if it's a carb mixture problem or an airleak that caused it to run lean then you will have to sort that out other wise you'll be back to square one.

Just had a text from my son working for a local tree company, to say one of their MS 441 saws has seized, he may bring it home for me tonight - great:confused1:

Firstly is there any 'recomended' method of trying to move the piston.

Secondly, if it frees up and the compression is ok to run?

Thirdly, are you interested Spud - I don't have the time to sort it out ( I fancy doing more saw work but am too busy with the shoot)

It will be very unusual if the engine is still locked up as in most cases the piston contracts when it cools.

I would not keep turning over the engine, the more this is done, the greater risk of scoring the bore.

See what you have and let me know if you want to send it in, just cleared a backlog so will have some time soon.

Good advice earlier about finding the route cause - all the saws I do are pressure checked, now vacuum checked and tach tuned to ensure the faults are found - I also check filters, breathers and pipes!

Take off the muffler and have a look. If it is truly seized in the bore, apply penetrating oil through the spark plug hole and leave for a while. You can try to gently dislodge it by applying torque via the flywheel nut.

The best method by far is to weld a grease zerk fitting on to the base of a spark plug and then use a grease gun to pump the combustion chamber full of grease, remove the bolts securing the cylinder to the crankcase beforehand though. Obviously this only applies if the piston is above the exhaust port (which it usually is, if truly stuck).

Thanks for the replies, this site is brill for a good responce:thumbup1:

My son came home with out the saw, boss wanted to 'have-a-go':confused1:

From what he said, the saw ran erratic with revs increasing - then stopped. the casing was very hot. they later restarted it but it often cut out on tick over when the brake was on. I think it's a fairly new saw, after the siezure it still has fairly good compression.

Will update as I find out more.

Thanks again.

If the saw shows signs of seizure then stop running it, the more it is run, the more damage will occur - if it has seized, it will have done so for a reason.

Megatron is right - pull the muffler and take a look at the piston, this works 95% ot the time (just had one saw with scoring outside of view). any vertical scores are bad news!

The more the saw is used, the higher the chances of further damage occuring.

You may be lucky and be able to save the cylinder as I did on my 441 but the piston and rings, if seized, will be shot and you'll have to replace them, then you'll have to find out what caused the seizure, if it was bad fuel mix then fine but if it's a carb mixture problem or an airleak that caused it to run lean then you will have to sort that out other wise you'll be back to square one.

completely derailing the thread here hi scale, the day the country died eh, one of my fave albums, and one of my fave bands too, glad to see someone with some class on here regarding punk music !!