Volunteer looking for work experience in conservation arboriculture

Tilia

Hi all,

I'm new to ArbTalk so hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm currently a student at Barony College, doing the second year in their Nat Dip Arboriculture course. Before this I was working in nature conservation, as a Ranger and a practical conservation worker before that. I've got a background in ecology but decided to pursue arb because my passion is definately for trees.

Are there any arborists out here in the South-West of Scotland that practice arboriculture for conservation reasons? Either as part of a business that does conservation arboriculture, or who maybe work for a charity like the NTS or a Wildlife Trust and do arboriculture as part of that?

If so I'd be interested in doing two months work experience, to see how arborculture can be used to conserve trees and thus the biodiversity associated with them...

I'm willing to volunteer to gain this experience. I've currently got CS30+31, PA1+6, and hopefully I'll have my chipper ticket by Dec. I'm also doing climbing as part of the course, though I won't be certified before Christmas.

Hopefully there's something out there!

Thanks for reading

I worked as a volunteer in Arb and Ecology for 6 years before I secured a job. Can I recommend that you seek out some arboretae and country parks in your local area (or even Edinburgh Botanical/Arboretum) and drop them a line and ask for a volunteer post on an ad-hoc basis. I found that, in my experience, if you are free labour, willing to learn, well turned out and have good communication skills they will grab you by the proverbials and take you on. I have had great success at a number of national arboretae, botanical gardens and nature reserves all willing to take on a volunteer and one especially in college as it shows an aptitude for learning.

I wish you luck as you prepare for your career!

Thank you both for your reply - it's encouraging to know that there are more ecologically-minded arborists out there than is first apparent!

Who tend to be the major employers in this kind of sector - is it private companies, conservation charities or local authorities? I'm just trying to get a feel of what the field is like.

I'll get in touch with some local estates and conservation groups and see what the options are.

Thanks again.

If you search out any nature reserve (RSPB, NT, or local authority under leisure and environment) they ALL have volunteer groups you can latch on to. I volunteered for a heap of them and as I got used to their quirky ways, cliques and other such annoyances I left until I found one I really liked. You need a group with a diverse agenda including ecology, arb, restoration and innovative methods that way you stay current. Don't worry you will find one that suits your niche - good luck

Pm "Climba" he's based in newton Stewart area and does Bat work etc so he'll give you some answers.

Hi Atree.....hope things still going good over there ...

yep a pm is fine Tilia,I have been down in Devon/Cornwall but back up in Galloway for now. (Be prepared to travel all over the place for the best experience or rather the widest experience where you can also benefit from different peoples opinions,their experience,and what is relevant to a particular region or location. Having climbing cert will open up more opportunities and may be pretty much a requirement to develop your own interests).

ok mate just pm and I will point you in the direction of some local-ish people who may be able to give you that experience you are looking for.I am off to Australia for a while in a couple of weeks so wont have time to do much before then apart from direct you on to active eco arbs and give you other relevant information/ links. Hope thats ok.

Hi Atree.....hope things still going good over there ...

yep a pm is fine Tilia,I have been down in Devon/Cornwall but back up in Galloway for now. (Be prepared to travel all over the place for the best experience or rather the widest experience where you can also benefit from different peoples opinions,their experience,and what is relevant to a particular region or location. Having climbing cert will open up more opportunities and may be pretty much a requirement to develop your own interests).

ok mate just pm and I will point you in the direction of some local-ish people who may be able to give you that experience you are looking for.I am off to Australia for a while in a couple of weeks so wont have time to do much before then apart from direct you on to active eco arbs and give you other relevant information/ links. Hope thats ok.

All good thanks climba,Summer is here :thumbup1:

Its great to be able to climb trees anywhere and travel at the same time :001_cool: