My Fungal finds... You tell me???

David Goss

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.b.:001_tt2:

I am not looking this time:sneaky2:

I already went against the rules of my thread once so its up to someone else to say the name before i put the next photo up.

Take your time though because i am running out and need to do some emergency fungography tomorrow:blushing:

I am not looking this time:sneaky2:

I already went against the rules of my thread once so its up to someone else to say the name before i put the next photo up.

Take your time though because i am running out and need to do some emergency fungography tomorrow:blushing:

Piptoporus betulinus, commonly known as the birch polypore, birch bracket, or razor strop, is one of the most common polyporous bracket fungi and, as the name suggests, grows almost exclusively on birch trees. The brackets burst out from the bark of the tree, and these fruiting bodies can last for more than a year. Technically, it is an edible mushroom, with a strong, pleasant "mushroomy" odor but a bitter taste. It is said to have medicinal properties, and the velvety cut surface of the fruiting body were used as a strop for finishing the finest of edges on razors. Dried specimens have also been used as tinder, and this fungus was carried by "Ötzi the Iceman" – the 5,000 year old mummy found in Tyrol.

Piptoporus betulinus, commonly known as the birch polypore, birch bracket, or razor strop, is one of the most common polyporous bracket fungi and, as the name suggests, grows almost exclusively on birch trees. The brackets burst out from the bark of the tree, and these fruiting bodies can last for more than a year. Technically, it is an edible mushroom, with a strong, pleasant "mushroomy" odor but a bitter taste. It is said to have medicinal properties, and the velvety cut surface of the fruiting body were used as a strop for finishing the finest of edges on razors. Dried specimens have also been used as tinder, and this fungus was carried by "Ötzi the Iceman" – the 5,000 year old mummy found in Tyrol.

Now your getting the idea:thumbup1:

I get the distinct feeling that your just trying to get me to run out of pics though:001_unsure:

Otzi carried the tinder polypore too, it was thought he used the horses hoof for tinder and the betulinus as a anti parasitic medication

Ok now i am down to photos I have already posted in other threads and i DO know the names, but thats not how the game goes is it so you tell me...

You can let someone else try and answer first you know, you big myco psycho bullies:001_tt2:

Maybe a little tale (if you have one) about the fungi in hand would go down a treat while we wait for a name:thumbup1:

DSCF0636.jpg.b52ec621d22ea2d537882ee39373f1f9.jpg

DSCF0641.jpg.5ad23441ade834c8cbb84cd831a9c026.jpg

DSCF0639.jpg.97da386095995b439978f9e24d095a4d.jpg