What's best for my Blake's?

Treecreeper1961

Thanks, you are right. Spiderjack would be a huge leap for me at the moment, both in expense and technology. What's the life expectancy of a spiderjack?

I must say i pondered over buying one for a long long time because of the expense but now if it ever needs replaced i will for sure buy another one. I cant say how long they last but i have only had mine a few months and it still works as if new, no slippage from the cam at all. I have heard the cams need changing every now and again but i think 6 months is minimum wear time if using it every day. I dont use it every day as i have 2 ropes, one long one for big trees with the jack on it and a shorter rope for small to medium trees which i use with various friction hitches depending how i feel on the day, i must say i normally tie the distel for that one but i still get annoyed with the bulk of having the small pulley and the knot and having to use a second crab for the end of the rope because there is no more space on the one with the hitch (never have that problem with the prussic, one crab holds the lot) but i am enjoying the change. I am still using Beal regate for all my friction hitches at the moment because i havent run out of it yet but when i do, i will for sure be trying a few others as well in my new found climbing lifesyle :thumbup1:

If you are thinking of getting a spiderjack i do suggest also trying one first as they are not everyones cup of tea and can scare the begeezus out of you at the beginning with its speed. I tried one only once before buying and wasnt completely convinced at that time, hence the long time pondering about price and its worth.

Good luck and dig yourself out of the hole mate, trust me you will be glad of it:001_smile:

please forgive my ignorance......

i just bought a 'komet stick run' brand new off ebay for £1.50, in principal it does the same thing as a lockjack, does not look the part and is a bit ugly, and works on most stuff from 8mm to 12mm.

going to test on monday - hope its up to the task, if not it will end up being a pulley jam.

thoughts....

looks a tad unrefined shall we say but for £1.50 whos complaining? i would be slightly worried about wear on the rope with the rough look it has. Hope it works out for you:thumbup1:

please forgive my ignorance......

i just bought a 'komet stick run' brand new off ebay for £1.50, in principal it does the same thing as a lockjack, does not look the part and is a bit ugly, and works on most stuff from 8mm to 12mm.

going to test on monday - hope its up to the task, if not it will end up being a pulley jam.

thoughts....

That looks like something I would jam my double gates on my drive way closed.

I started on a blakes too, however there are much better hitches out there, this would suit you perfectly I think, once dressed and set it performs like the blakes but never sticks and is easier to advance, no need to change your climbing style.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/21327-dave-rich-howard-knut-combo-treeflex-mod.html

• 3 weeks later...