Woodland wanted to buy!

Dorset Logger

The FC manager explained that the pigs benefited the woods because they were continuously disturbing the ground while foraging and this was of benefit to the woods. I'm talking here about a really decent sized woodland and to be honest it made sense to me, after all pigs have foraged in woodlands for centuries and it seemed a really nice idea and as he said, the bacon was really good as well.

I don't know enough about it to say how many pigs per acre there should be, just thought I'd mention it in case it was of use..

Hi,

When pigs were traditionally turned out to feed in woodlands this was called pannage and this was aimed mainly at fattening up pigs on acorns that are lying on the ground since these can and do poison ponies if they eat too much of this autumn bounty. When pigs are turned out for pannage they should be fitted with nose rings to stop them ploughing up the ground in an attempt to eat roots, truffles, fungii and anything else that gets in their way apart from that is elder - they don't like this stuff and will clear all around elder but leave it well alone.

Pigs can be useful to completely clear an area for planting but otherwise they will be very destructive to the woodland eco system if allowed to graze and root intensively.

Regards

Chilterns

Edited by Chilterns

We have used Iron Age pigs in woodlands for a long long time including around planted young trees with no issues. The woods are always much better condition than before the animals were introduced. Chatsworth Estate had use of them and were pleased including selling the meat in the farmshop. (Oak/Ash/Birch..... are now appearing where before there was a wasteland with brambles)

The amount of ground disturbance is down to the people looking after the pigs and the skills and experience needed to do this. Some woods we had a light rotovation in and then moved on and one I remember where all the old stone walls were fallen down was cleared down to 8" at the request of the landowners and the stone collected to use again and all the rubbish thrown in from the roadside removed. (Good for treasure sources)

Nose rings are an old fashioned and unoutdated and considered a cruel needless method and not allowed in organic production and sales!

I will find some pictures and post to show different sites and conditions. Good for bracken removal where spraying is unwanted/not cost effective.

Just want my own bit of land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

remember the feeling. its a very worthy pursuit. agricultural land is expensive now, especially for small acreages. i have a 3.5 acre plot with about an acre of alder 'carr'. not that interesting! i really need to get the grassland grazed to maintan the mixed flora. have planted an orchard and a block of new woodland. all good :thumbup1:

this the sort of ting you wanna do? it might make good financially to buy a large plot and sell off most of it, but who can afford that!? for a smallholder withonly a small plot i guess it makes sense to keep the pigs mainly on grassland and let them go in part of the woodland.....?

then you gotta get planning permission for any buildings, hardstanding, relandscaping etc. if its already got a building, you'll pay more for it