Stihl's landscaping saws versus forestry saws?

BobG

I have a MS280 & MS390 had both for say 10 yrs, the MS 280 because it was a bit bigger than a MS 260, so fitted an 8T rim sprocket = really good saw.

The MS390 because I couldn't afford to go for a MS 460, but again a really good saw, needed a bit of tuning to get the best out of it. Of interest the clutch is the same size, the chain the same just less power for big jobs.

I now have both a MS260 & MS 460, all run well. The Pro saws are of better design and build quality and for contract use tougher, but the Farm saws are not the 'L model' against the pro 'GTX model'

One detail I never get is why Stihl make say the MS 270 & 280, both are the same weight so why not just make the bigger model:confused1:

I have a MS280 & MS390 had both for say 10 yrs, the MS 280 because it was a bit bigger than a MS 260, so fitted an 8T rim sprocket = really good saw.

The MS390 because I couldn't afford to go for a MS 460, but again a really good saw, needed a bit of tuning to get the best out of it. Of interest the clutch is the same size, the chain the same just less power for big jobs.

I now have both a MS260 & MS 460, all run well. The Pro saws are of better design and build quality and for contract use tougher, but the Farm saws are not the 'L model' against the pro 'GTX model'

One detail I never get is why Stihl make say the MS 270 & 280, both are the same weight so why not just make the bigger model:confused1:

when you say the farm saws are not the L model, what exactly do you mean ? what makes a farm saw ?

when you say the farm saws are not the L model, what exactly do you mean ? what makes a farm saw ?

The ms390 was/ is called the FARM BOSS. I had one about 11 years back. When i wanted a new 60cc saw, I bought the ms361. It was more powerful, the chainspeed was faster, the carb was different, as was the air filter, the AV mounts were better. It was overall a better built higher performing saw. Hence the analogy of the model 'L' car and the GTi car:001_smile:

One way to tell which "class" a certain Stihl chainsaw belongs to, is by looking at the colour of the rear-handle.

Below you'll see a list of all the Stihl saws that is currently being marketed (somewhere in Europe)

Amateur class saws (Hobby/Home)

All-black rear handle: MS170, MS171, MS181, MS192, MS211.

Semi-pro class saws (Property Management/Agriculture)

Orange rear handle with black top: MS230, MS250, MS290, MS310.

All-white rear handle: MS231, MS251, MS271, MS291, MS311, MS391.

Pro class saws (Forestry)

White rear handle with black top: MS201, MS241, MS261, MS341, MS362, MS441, MS460, MS650, MS660, MS880.