Oak SGRs + Hollow + Kd + Wound spread + Crack = Remove

treeseer

Q phellos strangled itself and was damaged by pavement work. Trunk sounded hollow all around. Pruning wound is spreading. It and a few others had a thin layer of black material on top of the soil outside of sinuses; felt like foam rubber.

The fresh crack with the fungal growth at the top = active failure = removal.

DSC01811.JPG.0f7a7ea888f828ebbcc15d5553eb0dc3.JPG

DSC01836.jpg.5c35dd900cfc0b6eee49eb446d443bb2.jpg

DSC01838.JPG.80bb4e57f91915dbeb5769a70432a1b4.JPG

DSC01839.JPG.88f62c586e94959cccdcb6026085bfc8.JPG

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. a thin layer of black material on top of the soil outside of sinuses.

2.The fresh crack with the fungal growth at the top

3. = active failure = removal

1. Diagnosed as a pathogen ? Kd meaning Kretzschmaria deusta ? If so, microscopically checked ? If not, what (other) species and with what effects on the condition of the tree ?

2. Diagnosed as what species ? Saprotrophic ? Biotrophic or necrotrophic parasitic ? With what effects on the condition and/or stability of the tree ?

3. Removal without a proper and validated diagnosis ? "It seems worth the time to assess the risk with probing and measurement and looking at tree and targets before advising."

Pete, you got it.

1. Diagnosed as a pathogen ?

It's on the soil surface, so no, not yet.

Kd meaning Kretzschmaria deusta ?

yes

what (other) species

at pruning wound pictured.

and with what effects on the condition of the tree ?

hollow trunk, crown is full and green, but Hollow + Kd + Wound spread + ACTIVE Crack = Remove.

1. Pathogen : not yet ... Kd meaning Kretzschmaria deusta ? : yes

2. what (other) species : at pruning wound pictured.

3. Hollow + Kd + Wound spread + ACTIVE Crack = Remove.

1. What (microscopical) evidence of the presence of K. deusta ? "thin layer of black material ... felt like foam rubber ..." is diagnosed as K. deusta :lol: and K. deusta is not a pathogen ?

2. Yes, I noticed that, but I asked what species of macrofungi it was and whether it was saprotrophic, biotrophic parasitic or necrotrophic parasitic ?

3. Again, this is how you "carefully" diagnose a tree :lol: and condemn it to be removed :thumbdown: ? Does practice what you "teach" sound familiar :001_tt2: ?

1. it does not look like it's realistic to retain does it? Even just the position it's in.

2. I love the snappy title of the thread

Daniel,

1. It's all about context. See this post and the next posts of my thread on K. deusta on Acer.

2. Would you like to have your GP diagnose a physical health problem the same "snappy" way by just tapping you on the belly and concluding you're hollow without internal checking of the "cavity", assessing a crack in your .... :blushing: , leave the pathogens unidentified and then telling you you're going to die and be removed :001_tongue: ?

Gerrit,

this is excactly what I was trying to avoid:biggrin: but now I've been drawn in...here goes:

1 The good HÖkers of Grolle are blessed with your knowledge and kind generosity in offering them your advisoury services for free:thumbup1:.

2 It was meant ever so slightly sarcastic, see Sarcasm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:biggrin:

3 now I've allowed myself to be drawn in, I'll put some self-restraining measures in place to refrain from re-entering this discussion: I'm out to go and have some fun with the kids (half-term):thumbup: