Tree ID...

Has it got a chambered pith? If so its in the Juglandaceae family and could be either Juglans regia/nigra or Pterocarya fraxinifolia

Could also be a hickory sp. (Carya sp.)

Any chance i can see the bud/bud scar?

Saying that could it also be a Fraxinus sp.?

Edited by RobArb

Not Fraxinus or Tetradium either.....amazingly! I would also have gone for Juglandaceae or Oleaceae when I first saw the species, but it isn't in either of those families! A few more macros of the cutting are attached.

The cutting's not the best really I'm afraid, so as I'm working tomorrow so I will see if I can find a spare 5 mins to go and get some better shots of the actual tree inc. bud, form, bark, etc.

Hats down to anyone who gets it.

Rob, I've taken a shot of the transverse snip across the twig, just to show that theres no pith!

P1030741.jpg.0d79d305fe630daea31b9ec59a7f659e.jpg

P1030742.jpg.d509f43954a1199c88a0aadebe9da2e6.jpg