Fungus around a Indian bean tree.

Scottie

The photos below come from Harlow Carr RHS garden in Harrogate and the tree is an Indian Bean Tree (Catalpa bignonioides). Over this summer they had some one in to airspade the roots to break up decompaction.

I think the fungus could be Pholioto squarrosa. Am I right? Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures as I took them with my Blackberry.

IMG00098-20111002-1441.jpg

IMG00096-20111002-1440.jpg

HarlowCarrCatalpabignoniodes.jpg

the tree is an Indian Bean Tree (Catalpa bignonioides). Over this summer they had some one in to airspade the roots to break up decompaction. Pholioto squarrosa.

From the prolific (panic) fruiting (triggered by airspading) of this biotrophic parasite, one can derive the trunk base and buttresses probably will be decayed (simultaneous white rot) to a great extend, making the tree vulnerable for windthrow by a storm "hitting" on the tree on the affected side.

Thanks yet again Hamadryad. Not good then, especially if it is in such a prominent garden such as Harlow Carr. Would you have any idea if the fungus could be controlled to give the tree a chance of surviving? It is an amazing speciemen.

whoever did the airspading should have picked up on decay, checking while the root crown is exposed is common sense.

Who said they didn't ?

Maybe there is an ongoing program in place that includes reduction ?

Can't hypothesise without the facts.

btw, I can't see the photos.

Best be safe eh, get it felled ! :biggrin: