Massaria

Fungus

I wonder if it is not counter intuitive ? If the air is laden with particulates it would aid in the way suggested but cities and towns tend to have air funneled , and moving faster, in the streets. So it is that pollution is perhaps not greatest at the source but just a small distance from it, where it comes to form more densely and with less kinetic energy ?

Just a theory !

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if it is not counter intuitive ? If the air is laden with particulates it would aid in the way suggested but cities and towns tend to have air funneled , and moving faster, in the streets. So it is that pollution is perhaps not greatest at the source but just a small distance from it, where it comes to form more densely and with less kinetic energy ? Just a theory !

It may be counter intuitive, but research on the effects of air pollution on urban and roadside trees has shown, that these trees function as dust filters "storing" particulates, pollen and spores on their foliage until the rain washes it down and transports it to the sewer system and that's why urban trees are more than just the lungs (oxygen) of our cities :thumbup1: .

Edited by Fungus

Tom,

Where in The Netherlands is this happening than (naam en rugnummers a.u.b. :001_smile: ) ?

The photo I started the thread with was taken yesterday underneath a 120 year old Platanus in a (far too) small private garden in the centre of an old city crowded with people visiting restaurants and bars passing and even sitting underneath the tree.

The branches in the photo were hanging from the railings surrounding the garden. Outside the garden, there were a lot of small and a few wrist thick branches laying on the pavement, which was just the weekend's "harvest".

If I understand the forum rules, I can't give you any names (not even of our Dutch colleagues :001_tt2:), but we can discuss this next week, since we're meeting 'in the flesh' :thumbup:

And as I said before, there are situations where Massaria poses a great risk and of course those trees have to be assessed accordingly. But in my opinion, in 'everyday' arboriculture, Massaria is just one of the many aspects to assess during regular VTA's of urban trees. And if the assessor identifies a tree or branch likely to have Massaria (which can be done from the ground), he/she needs to take all the necessary steps to confirm or deny a Massaria infection. This can include the use of a high altitude camera or a climbing inspection. But I don't agree with 'standard' climbing or camera inspections of all urban plane trees every year or even every 6 months.

The company I work for perform "GMS" ie dead dying decayed lift and occasionally a light thin on planes (which we work on a lot). We are in central london and do some the trees david mentioned for the royal parks. The GMS along with an inspection is done every 2/3 years as far as I know. Almost every plane I have been up since I started with them has had one or two branches with topside decay from massaria... Is it a big problem in terms of the overall future of the trees? Or something that planes can cope with ok? Sorry if this is a really basic question.. :S

..... that these trees function as dust filters "storing" particulates, pollen and spores on their foliage ....

Could it be that high and constant particulate attachment is reducing docking availability or success?

Dave

I foten wonder about this massaria, and hispidus in planes also.

I wonder if we are not seeing the beginning of the natural ageing processes beginning in our now maturing London planes, the life cycle of the platanus is over a thousand years, and follows a path that can be reflected in oaks of that age, if only via different organisms and process.

I dont have any images of veteran planes or ancients, can anyone here add such Images

I foten wonder about this massaria, and hispidus in planes also.

I wonder if we are not seeing the beginning of the natural ageing processes beginning in our now maturing London planes, the life cycle of the platanus is over a thousand years, and follows a path that can be reflected in oaks of that age, if only via different organisms and process.

I dont have any images of veteran planes or ancients, can anyone here add such Images

Think this is one of the original hybridised Planes in the Uk. Planted around 1680.

It's the one at the former Bishops Palace at Ely. (opposite the Cathedral)

26 ft + girth

It has Inonotus & obviously a basal colonisation (un Id'd)

but no Massaria that I have heard of...........yet.

I'm going to be up in the area regularly soon, may look at it a bit closer.

DSC00646.JPG.772ea63e11035ac548301f10f9d5b95b.JPG

DSC00650.jpg.f000150ade8c995f3857fbc5baef0a55.jpg

DSC00637.JPG.588257635a4e680a527c247b4792757c.JPG

DSC00632.JPG.55998897c5c19dbc64afc4d352638be3.JPG

DSC00651.jpg.eaa09a2e5be70d85c71b958672ecaa6e.jpg

DSC00630.JPG.24823e0a382cd98098d7c46c02cc115c.JPG

Think this is one of the original hybridised Planes in the Uk. Planted around 1680.

26 ft + girth

Impressive tree! Root flare is reminiscent of merip on beech or pholiota on ash?

26 ft + girth

:thumbup1:

Impressive tree! Root flare is reminiscent of merip on beech or pholiota on ash?

:001_smile: