Massaria

Fungus

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have quite a bit of it there. Seems to affect drought stressed trees more than others and some cultivars not at all. They are setting up a watering system to attempt to alleviate the issue.

Paul,

In The Netherlands, we have lots of Platanus colonized by Massaria and especially older trees in urban environments, on roadsides or in lanes have to be monitored regularely because of the risk of thick branches breaking off.

How do they monitor Massaria on branches in the crown ? In The Netherlands we have recently started to use a high altitude camera mounted on a buggy for inspection.

Climbing & platform Gerrit,

I'm not sure if Mike Turner has the budget for camera surveilance at the Royal Parks.

Personally, I'd like to see the Arb colleges employed for this kind of work.

Train the students up at recognition then give them the task of aerial inspection.

Two birds/One stone :thumbup1:

Climbing & platform I'm not sure if Mike Turner has the budget for camera surveilance at the Royal Parks. Personally, I'd like to see the Arb colleges employed for this kind of work. Train the students up at recognition then give them the task of aerial inspection.

David,

Sure, but comparing the costs of climbers and mobile platforms with the use of the high altitude camera, in The Netherlands some cities with thousands of trees in lanes and on road sides meanwhile have decided on the cheaper and less time consuming one man driven and handled buggy with camera and monitor.

Besides, we don't have that number of professional climbers to do the monitoring anyway.

And how many trees yearly need monitoring and inspection in the Royal Parks ?

Edited by Fungus

David,

And how many trees yearly need monitoring and inspection in the Royal Parks ?

Mike manages around 2500 Mature Plane Trees across the central London Royal Parks. I don't believe these include Richmond & Greenwich Parks, which are further out)

My understanding is that around 25% of those trees are affected.

This may have been updated since I last heard.

A very serious problem there is no doubt..Neville Fay gave a good summary of the issues and the current level of understanding and management when he was out here.

It is not clear (to me at least) if there have been any occurances in regions where Plane trees predominate the street scape (Adelaide for example).

If foliar function/dysfunction were a significant indicator then there certainly would be an economically viable option using current software packages used in viticultural management.