Investment

Chris Gagen

I spoke to the people who make the treatment and they did not advise burning the treated wood in domestic stoves but that was a year ago ideas may have changed. I had an idea tonight, If we bought in 6" larch or pop it could be pasted through a crude thickness planer just to put a 2" flat on each side. This would feed better through the kindlett and cut down on the bark waste in the bag. I have tried taking in joinery waste but its so labour intensive its not worth doing unles you can live on £4 an hour. If the off cuts were 6x2 and 4ft long it would be worth doing.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whilst i'm in agreement that converting off cut material into kindling is labour intensive, i feel i must point out that i'm now at the transitional stage going from something rather more than a hobby to hopefully one of the main stays of my business.

i've thought about buying in round timber and splitting off the outside, leaving no bark to go into the kindling and big enough outside pieces to mix into firewood, not got any waste at all then, but obviously still laborious. maybe i could rig up a 8 inch square splitting knife for my splitter...hmmm

renewablejohn, not having any trouble selling the volume of unusable waste i presently produce anyway thanks. although as the outfit grows this issue may require further consideration which i'm sure would be conducted using the power of arbtalk at some later stage...:001_smile:

Gensetsteve

I agree joinery waste is difficult to generate a profit but combining kindling and wood pellets does give a better return.

I wonder whether a mobile wood pelleting service would be useful to yourself and hullsmillfarm to cater for all the mishapen offcuts.

Yes would be ideal but I dont think we produce enough tonnage to justify the cost. If I collected it up the cost of creating storage would take years to recover at the sort of money they are paying.

Hey,

I asked a similar question to my local Builders Merchant about burning saftey as they offered me free off-cuts and miss shaped / graded lengths as free fuel wood - Apparently the copper azole stuff (also sold as TANALITH E) is safe to burn in the open in small quantities, and in stoves but that it is less than ideal.

If the fire is hot enough (IE no smoke I was told) the only contaminent in the ash is a high level of Copper Oxides which are used in small quantities by plants, but in the concentrations in the ash would be a problem.

To remove the copper from the ash....... havent a clue.

this - http://www.newarktimbersupplies.co.uk/docs/tan-e.pdf