Firewood Processor Hire - First Day Review

AJR68

So we got our new Hakki Pilke 2xs+ Carry delivered the other day so its done 1 full day yesterday and a couple of loads for us and out again for a full day tomorrow.

I did both softwood and hardwood yesterday, up to its max capacity of 10" although its supposed to be 13" but that causes issues, dont ask. The machine has a 13hp Honda GX engine and double splitting rams with 2 / 4 splitter as standard and a 4 meter conveyor.

I was very pleased at how it performed, the only thing that let it down was the operator as I had a couple of jams due to not doing the final split on the foor controls and a thrown chain both due to me not looking what I was doing. It can handle a 10' feed length if you can lift one on that is, the feed conveyor works good and you can move it around by hand to position it (but the ground wants to be concrete or very hard and flat) as any stones or ruts and your gonna struggle. Our astravan pulls it well on the road and it seems stable and weighs just under a ton and is braked also. The battery master key dropped out and got lost, typical but other than that all is good. The key is to make sure you have another pair of hands to keep production to the maximum as I was solo and the machine operator was enjoying his day, the laborer was not as happy due to the 26 degrees and bright sun.

Also the hitch it comes with is crap, not even a locking type so upgraded that straightaway to an avonride lockable, not secure really but a good deterrent I reckon....

Will post a picture later of the log pile, if anyone wants anymore information just ask and I will try to answer if I can.......or they can hire it :thumbup1:

We have had a 2x for the last 6 years. near on rebuilt it this week. It will stonk out some serious wood for you but it works best between 4-9 inch . If you get 250mm timber in 3 metre lengths do your backs and feed conveyour a favour and cut it to 1m lengths. You will be able to do an 8 hour day and repeat the next day. Two of us run the machine alternating between prep and operating.

Thats good advice and well received, its easy to push the thing too hard with the big stuff that it can cope with more than me, I aint 20 any more.........doing nice hardwood tomorrow, all 6 - 8" silver birch in 4' lengths with a assistant so should be great, but when you get something new you always want to "see what it can do" until something breaks and then your p***ed off.

All in all very happy with our purchase, just as well considering the price but you get what you pay for I guess....

Thanks for your input!!

process2.jpg.7bd610ab0abfbed27fa13efb7175eaa7.jpg