Grifola frondosa.

David oakman

I think the grifola has the potential to be more the parasite than is given due credit herein.

Though i do think we have a complex issue with the fungi, strain, from my own reading this is a developing area of study, and will be looking to buy a few more stamets volumes to read further into it.

one things for sure though, being a commercial and desirable crop makes further reading into this pretty fungi a fairly (unusually) simple affair.

interesting little fungi this one.

Interesting thread, so I thought I'd resurect it. A few recent gratuitous shots of our little hen

David,

Quite big for a "little hen". In Dutch, it's called Eikhaas (oak's hare), because in foggy wether or twilight it is supposed to look like a crouched hare sitting at the tree base.

In The Netherlands, it's getting more and more common on Q. rubra with far more detrimental effects on the stability of the tree (windthrow) and it's also found on Fagus, Aesculus and Castanea.

I'll add three of my photo's :

1. Fruiting from a stump after the Q. robur was felled.

2. Fruiting at the base of the trunk (major root) of a Q. robur with an older cluster of FB's.

3. Together with Ganoderma resinaceum, fruiting at the base of the trunk of a Q. robur.

59765e443c35d_3.EikhaasHarslakzwam.jpg.14fba3aabed5468d894c09874304a478.jpg

59765e4436ab2_2.Grifolafrondosaoud.jpg.37f3852b65c7d82c9c31b38967fca187.jpg

59765e443276f_1.Grifolafrondosa.jpg.c8034083f5a8c1a57cb0eaea041895e6.jpg

Fine shots Gerrit,

a rarity to see it off the ground, no?

Only seen that once myself.

Your poor old rubras seem to take a varied fungal battering from the regularity with which you talk of their associations.

Interestingly here in my area, rubra tends to be maily associated with G. resinaceum & what I'd imagine is G. australe.

Tony ?

Fine shots Gerrit,

a rarity to see it off the ground, no?

Only seen that once myself.

Your poor old rubras seem to take a varied fungal battering from the regularity with which you talk of their associations.

Interestingly here in my area, rubra tends to be maily associated with G. resinaceum & what I'd imagine is G. australe.

Tony ?.

Agreed:thumbup1: and david, off the ground on stumps is not uncommon:001_smile:

1. a rarity to see it off the ground, no? Only seen that once myself.

2. Your poor old rubras seem to take a varied fungal battering from the regularity with which you talk of their associations.

1. I don't see it often either.

2. They do on the one hand, but on the other hand they have become very important even to the extent of becoming a refugium for some very rare Quercus specific ectomycorrhizal Hydnaceae, which are no longer present as associates of Q. robur because of nitrification :thumbdown: .

• 1 year later...

Thanks chaps for keeping this one going, and the pruning treatments seem a good compromise between public and tree health. Gf fairly common here on our q phellos mainly, and noninvasive means of assessment seem to bear out the notion it is not a super-aggressive rotter. 15-20 cm is after all 15-20 cm.

Across the pond here most arbs would not comprehend this, and i'm not sure i'm all the way there, but am grateful to see tree care practiced at this level. I'll be looking for that little hare, Gerritt, and thinking of the mycorrhizal associates. :001_smile: Carry on!