Is red diesel being phased out in jan 2012?

Essex arborist

I need some for my landrover!!

Probably be OK for undersealing it, but you couldn't run on it.

What you really need for a Landrover would be a way to allow it to run on "contam", ie contaminated fuel. This is the stuff that recovery firms drain from the tanks of vehicles misfueled by idiot owners, and is a mix of petrol and diesel. It is a waste product which the recovery firms usually have to pay to get rid of, so if you can use it you can often get it free of charge or for pennies. Better still, the tax has already been paid on it, so there is no tax issue.

Some military multifuel engines will run quite happily on the stuff, but I don't know of any that will fit a Landrover.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the military ever perfect the multi-fuel engine? I know the L60 in the chieftain was a bit of a pig.

Not as far as I know! I don't think that there are any in service with British forces now. There are some reasonable American multifuel engines in some of the M35 series trucks, I believe, but I am sure that there is someone on this forum who knows more than I do about this!

actually the heavier the oil the higher the calorific value, this is all down to the length of the hydrocarbon chains, and the ratio of carbon to hydrogen. Carbon produces more energy than hydrogen as it burns so methane, (one carbon to four hydrogen) has less calorific value than octane (8 carbon and 18 hydrogen) The heavier stuff may have 10, 12 or 14 carbon atoms per molecule and have even more energy.

The higher fractions like methane are much more volatile and "burn" easier than say road tar but with less heat.