What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Been working on a Stihl MS362, it has a stripped spark plug hole and looks like the plug may have come loose and then blasted out of the hole.

Been here before so have a set procedure on how to fix. Some prefer the helicoil fix, one thing that generally produces poor results are the £10 kits off eBay, the art in fixing an expensive OEM cylinder is straightness of the hole and the quality of the tapping.

I use a stainless steel copper plated insert that I grind to size before fitting. I ream the hole out so it is to size for tapping. I then use a quality tap to cut the receiving hole - note the use of the spitit level to ensure the tap is dead vertical.

Once the hole is tapped, I use a very high temperature permanenent Loctite thread-lock on the insert that will stop the insert ever coming loose! The finished repair is more solid then the original and offers an extremely robust repair:thumbup:

4.png.34479c0453b15dc1463124081d16f7bb.png

3.png.105e273a6554960daba84d74f162a059.png

2.png.ae063f992f6875cc4b9b2a6ad6d761d1.png

1.png.b444daea160a26ce843f99a33b6b3847.png

I had a 362 in yesterday with exactly the same problem, but I will do this one using the traditional helicoil and without removing the cylinder.

Works for me:biggrin:

If it was a clam engine then I would have done the same but didn't like the possibility of dropping swarf in to the cylinder but know it can be done this way!

Got a Dolmar 116si that a mate wants fixed up, however it has a broken brake band and they don't make them anymore..

Does anyone know of or has ever tried a band from a different saw and gently persuaded it to fit. Some of the husky outboard clutch bands appear similar in photos apart from the handle end.

They are fairly precise bits of kit I'm just not very happy returning a saw with no brake as it is a device that has saved some people from serious injuy and death.

Good second hand one would be perfect but I am not hopefull.

Got a Dolmar 116si that a mate wants fixed up, however it has a broken brake band and they don't make them anymore..

Does anyone know of or has ever tried a band from a different saw and gently persuaded it to fit. Some of the husky outboard clutch bands appear similar in photos apart from the handle end.

They are fairly precise bits of kit I'm just not very happy returning a saw with no brake as it is a device that has saved some people from serious injuy and death.

Good second hand one would be perfect but I am not hopefull.

Very difficult to get other parts to fit and not easy to fabricate either.

I do have a 114si in the collection, it runs and am happy to check the band but would want £60 delivered for it or you can pickup for £50!

Thanks but I think it wouldn't fit someone will know 100% and probably out of the budget.

I have been eyeing up various Husky bands due to the outboard clutch type setup but all I know is my 560 has a smaller clutch drum so thats out.

Looking at fabricating one out of some thin sheet but they look to be some sort of stainless probably for good reason, looks like fairly fiddly fabriction without the old one being intact and even if I get the length spot on no idea how mild sheet would hold up any way. Might be the only way though.

Don't want to let it out of my hands without a brake that atleast works a bit.

I know what you mean I've done bit and bobs before but nothing this precise or highly stressed. Contemplating whether to spend potentially hours on something that might only work once.

I was considering a band from a different saw as where it snapped on the handle end there is a 15mm ish section still attached, I thought if I can get one with a similar end fittment for the same diameter (or very close) drum I could rivet the old bit on to the new bit. However I don't have piles of spares so would have to buy one, first work out what band is the closest etc..

Trying to think it through before getting too invloved.