What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Spent all day one the land rover.

The steering wheel had more play than it should on it, tightened the nut under the box, all good now.

Filled and sanded all the rust hole I had backed before, looking good now.

Filled the huge hole in the boot. And even had time to get the electric mirrors working and the boot latch now opens from both the inside and outside..... Also managed to sort the seal around the boot door so it doesn't leak anymore.

The front drivers wheel had a bit of play in it also, tightened the hub nuts up and all good.

Been a very progressive day today.

Had a chance to look at an ms280 aswell, was running well but lost power in cuts. Had a look at carb and all looked ok. Am I right in thinking this carb has an auto tune on it, no tuning for high but only tickover and low. Had wires from carb aswell.

After putting the carb back on the saw will tickover high but when going to rev cuts out. Smokes a gooden aswell when throttle held, let go of it and it dies. Needs more investigation. Comps goo day the way.

Thing is Spud, if doing it your way you must turn the cylinder backwards when sharpening. Use a reversible drill with variable speed control.

Otherwise you take the leading edge off, rather than sharpening it.

And, its the only way it could possibly work using sand.

The better way is to 'backlap' using grinding paste between the cylinder and bottom bar and rotating backwards. This nicely matches the bottom bar to the cylinder.

Make sure the paste is completely washed off before rotaing forwards, or the hard earned edge will be lost.

Now theres an idea - motorbike, back wheel off, side cover off the mower..................:001_rolleyes::blushing::lol:

Of course you are right about the leading edge but TBH can't be arsed to take the cylinder out to do it the long way, I got the mower off my dad who had at some time clumped the cylinder and it had a high point that I took down using the "emery and beer mat" which stopped it thumpinng the anvil and got it level.

It cuts fine but guess it could always be better - will have to get my thinking cap on....will the mower run upside down????:lol: Wonder if I can get it running backwards!:001_rolleyes:

Oh dear. This could end very badly indeed.

Could just use Burrells lathe.......... With some small mods it could work easily enough.

Been there, the lathe is too small - who needs fingers....fingers are for whimps:blushing::lol:

Just need a reverse gear on the mower - can't be that hard....can it??:001_rolleyes:

Been there, the lathe is too small - who needs fingers....fingers are for whimps:blushing::lol:

Just need a reverse gear on the mower - can't be that hard....can it??:001_rolleyes:

Just send me the cylinder and bottom bar Steve, Keep your fingers for your saws.