What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Well what a day, got the new piston and rings into the quad, compression is now at 175. But I noticed a bit broken on the carb, anyone know a good chemical for ally? Needs to be fixed back on but is not likely to be knocked or in a spot that would move the pipe.

Had to strip quad carb and rebuild as the throttle needle snapped yesterday. New needle £40, new diaphragm £70. I actually stood and watched my Honda trained son do this in minutes, it would have taken me hours to faff about, swear, throw tantrum, lose parts, buy new parts etc

Had to strip quad carb and rebuild as the throttle needle snapped yesterday. New needle £40, new diaphragm £70. I actually stood and watched my Honda trained son do this in minutes, it would have taken me hours to faff about, swear, throw tantrum, lose parts, buy new parts etc

Been there done that, learnt the hard way, always use an old towel now.

The bit that has broken is the equlivant to the impulse line on a saw, the tube that sticks out from the carb has snapped, I need to fix it back on but not sure what to use that would hold it well enough, was thinking of building up around it with some jb weld.

Got one for gardenkit today aswell, a Honda mower, it will run perfectly one minute then it will die, seemed like it would run out of fuel, it would start then stall, then not start at all until a few hours later. Changed the carb so I know it's not that and it's still doing it. Would it be anything to do with the spark? Not tested compression yet as I'm trying to wait for it to do it again so I can get comp tester on it straight away. It would run fine for a few days then just fail....

Edited by Rich2484

Well what a day, got the new piston and rings into the quad, compression is now at 175. But I noticed a bit broken on the carb, anyone know a good chemical for ally? Needs to be fixed back on but is not likely to be knocked or in a spot that would move the pipe.

That will be JB Weld - sticks like the proverbial to a blanket if the part is clean and is rock hard - use "kwick" for lower temperature use or the slow cure one for high temperature.

It is damn good stuff - like toolmakers Devcon!

Sorted the Husqvarna 41, it wass running lean and the main reason it wasn't right was that the H&L screw was set to 1 & 1 turn - the saws manufactured 1997 onwards need 1.5 & 2 turns - once I had this dialled in and cleaned the tank breather, starting was much easier.

Fired up the 026, had a new piston and big overhaul, sounds good and settled down to a level idle pretty quickly:thumbup:

P1040434.JPG.5b0d6a423e20d0127d30126bcdc53b05.JPG

P1040433.JPG.d9578f15110be1655744c5fd37cb7f4f.JPG

Got one for gardenkit today aswell, a Honda mower, it will run perfectly one minute then it will die, seemed like it would run out of fuel, it would start then stall, then not start at all until a few hours later. Changed the carb so I know it's not that and it's still doing it. Would it be anything to do with the spark? Not tested compression yet as I'm trying to wait for it to do it again so I can get comp tester on it straight away. It would run fine for a few days then just fail....

Rich. There are two posibilities

One. It is quite common for the Honda to suffer from a blocked fuel cap breather. Running with the cap a little slack will prove this. I think this is the least likely cause as it wont take 2 hours before it will restart.

Two, and most likely is a coil which fails when it gets hot. Easily checked with a spark tester as soon as it fails. When it cools down it will start. This problem will get worse as time goes on until, in the not too distant future it will fail completely.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Oh, it could be a plug, the Honda,s do like to eat plugs, but they usually start popping and banging rather than just stopping.