Tetanus - make sure your up to date

daveindales

This is an excert from the NHS direct website regarding Tetanus vaccinations, which hopefully should clarify the situation. If you've had 5 or more shots, you should'nt need any more for the rest of your natural, unless you go some far flung cesspit part of the world where primary health care is not an option!

"The full course of the tetanus vaccine consists of five doses. The primary course consists of three injections, which provide protection against the infection for a number of years. The fourth and fifth doses are booster doses, which help maintain protection.

After the fifth dose, immunity remains for life and further boosters are not usually required, unless there is doubt about a person’s vaccination history or you are travelling to a remote area of the world where treatment for a tetanus infection may not be readily available."

Here's the link should you want to know more! http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Tetanus/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Edited by Gnarlyoak
Link added

went for a tetanus jab recently and was told by the nurse if you have had 5 or more jabs in your lifetime your ok unless your going abroad somewhere like egypt.

My wife is a nurse and that's what she told me, yrs ago everytime you went to A+E they gave you a jab.

At that time I was told Oxfordshire is like a giant dung heap = high risk of catching it. There are so many infections like Leptospirosis, which I caught yrs ago that are a risk of broken skin infections, plus many others.