Starting up on your own.

brothergrim

I think dilz Is right about people wanting to subby because they think they will make there fortunes... Reality is if you were what I expected of a decent freelancer you would be on a companys books getting £150 a day as a lead climber... Easy , paid holidays , all gear brought for and no stress...

As for working for your self setting up on your own, go for it , find a Market that's untapped and give them the best service at reasonable rates and word gets around... But its hard and you only get back what you put in to it and you will find it takes over your life,24 hours a day 7 days a week and you will be thinking I wish I had stayed on the books when you can't afford a holiday because the tax mans on your back,you can't find decent staff and your chipper/ truck is playing up or a saws just gone bang and your owed thousands!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think dilz Is right about people wanting to subby because they think they will make there fortunes... Reality is if you were what I expected of a decent freelancer you would be on a companys books getting £150 a day as a lead climber... Easy , paid holidays , all gear brought for and no stress...

As for working for your self setting up on your own, go for it , find a Market that's untapped and give them the best service at reasonable rates and word gets around... But its hard and you only get back what you put in to it and you will find it takes over your life,24 hours a day 7 days a week and you will be thinking I wish I had stayed on the books when you can't afford a holiday because the tax mans on your back,you can't find decent staff and your chipper/ truck is playing up or a saws just gone bang and your owed thousands!!

Is there a goodside ???

It's what you make of it!! Honestly I can't think of too many positive things at the minute.... You can organise your jobs how you want to do them... Point is though you can start off with the best intentions of turning down work if you have ethics but when you have finance insurance and wages to pay you end up taking what you can... And some clients won't be educated or listen.

It's what you make of it!! Honestly I can't think of too many positive things at the minute.... You can organise your jobs how you want to do them... Point is though you can start off with the best intentions of turning down work if you have ethics but when you have finance insurance and wages to pay you end up taking what you can... And some clients won't be educated or listen.

If I ever get to this stage I would be thinking of a change in career:confused1:

Ha, no it's never that bad... But there's benefits to being employed that should not be over looked!! , best solution is be a good subby climber and you don't have half the worries your probably better off in the short run , but there is pro's and cons to that - five days a week of usually the trees on the firm there boys don't want to do but If you love a challenge!!

Ha, no it's never that bad... But there's benefits to being employed that should not be over looked!! , best solution is be a good subby climber and you don't have half the worries your probably better off in the short run , but there is pro's and cons to that - five days a week of usually the trees on the firm there boys don't want to do but If you love a challenge!!

Accurate statement.:thumbup:

If we stay to our ethics we will be regarded as professionals:thumbup1:

Someone said to me last week you'll do the most awkward trees to prove I can do it. No one likes a smart arse but I prefer to have a go before I say I couldnt do it, there's always a way and that's what attracts me to contract climbing.

I was talking about this with my workmate the other day,I reckon to demand top money as a contract Climber you should offer to bring Saws,Rigging kit and GRCS or the like.

That might make you more valuable to one man bands and Landscape Firms who might otherwise pass up large technical jobs.

indeed the kit and the skills and the right professional attitude

Someone said to me last week you'll do the most awkward trees to prove I can do it. No one likes a smart arse but I prefer to have a go before I say I couldnt do it, there's always a way and that's what attracts me to contract climbing.

Ive been back freelancing for about 2yrs now, nearly all work on Utilities as the private sector is pants around us, every one is tree professional wether a gardener oe local handyman at the moment.

Get as many strings to your bow as possible, I turn my hand to powerline surveys, climbing, general dog onsite, LOLER Inspection, UA training, and any domestic work back home if its worth the price.

Put tax money away and keep a rainy day pot for those pants weeks when there isnt any work or the weather is beyond working in, remember there two seperate pots though.

I spent all my tax money 14yrs ago to keep afloat when times were bad and it probably wasnt my greatest move, hence how I ended up at Fountains for 10yrs first two paying the taxman and others off.

Set yourself goals for where you want your business to go and targets you want to reach.

Make sure you have some good personel insurance for the potential of been off sick or injured, or a wealthy spouse to support you.

And lastly if your dillying around thinking about it then you will probably never do it, a lot of people like myself had no choice but to go that way and sart up.

Ah Utilities...the dark side..... though thats whats lined up giving me 48 hours a week over winter, its a good thing to get into as with Utilities tickets you still can do domestic, if you just have NPTC tickets and do domestic, you cant drop on to Utilities. Diversity is the key - i know a lad who does tree work, scaffolding, building, and works on a trawler and a bit of second hand car dealing, and it aint too bad at any of them. and especially at first, -and its a good philosophy in general- if there is a £1 profit to be made i'll be there, unless some one is offering me £2.