Help Identifying this Fungi and Cause of Orange Sap? Please

MAXK

Sorry I did not attach the picture of the Fungi I will post it now seperately.

The following Fungi growing at the base of this elderly Beech Tree have been seen in this garden for at least the past several years but were casually knocked over by the gardener and disposed of to protect the dogs living at the home.

I am guessing Honey Fungus as a Cherry tree was diagnosed with Honey Fungus and removed several years ago, it was at a distance of approx 12m from this Beech

This crop of Fungi appeared about 2 weeks ago.

The Beech itself was until recently surrounded by Holly the removal of which has shown that in addition to the fungi the base of the tree shows signs of Rot and is producing a thick orange sap underneath the bark which I discovered by accidentally pushing my finger through the soft bark and into 50mm+ in depth of this orange thick but not particuarly sticky sap (I am assuming it is sap). At this time I have not removed any bark to discover how extensive the Orange sap is.

There are also a couple of other issues, firstly a large limb forming a tight bifurcation with the main trunk at 1.2m with a water pocket and secondly there is rot at a higher level on old wound now open to the elements.

This tree leans towards a main road and I am really considering my options as it has a TPO in place.

Any help with identification, advice, opinion and options would be most welcome.

Many Thanks

P1080570.JPG.a205da520de39acea75d015cd84e1204.JPG

P1080579.jpg.27e71a98691964d7f4a59798610981c9.jpg

P1080578.JPG.87ff215c18189250f34e920c7eb1e4b7.JPG

P1080573.JPG.aa7a561fa35de1219ebdda821be43bd1.JPG

Edited by MAXK
Added not to say main picture was not uploaded by me and will post it seperately.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hard to say whats going on here but the images show one important feature, and that is an extremley wide increment strip (rapid growth sign) This tells us that whatever is going on with the bark low down with the injury is recent and is at first glance rapid. Colybia fusipes is in attendance and not to be unexpected with dysfunctional roots (debatable if its the cause more likely a saprophytic successor)

the more pics we get, the easier this gets, one of the whole tree in its context showing crown condition would be a massive help:thumbup1:

I'll consider it a hand slapping:lol:

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

More a flick to the back of the head, when i slap your wrist youll know about it!:lol:

i would like to see more of the root crown, especialy the area near to those tressles in the first of the last images posted. one thing that is clear is that until VERY recently (in tree terms) this was a very happy vital tree putting out all the right signals to a young and vigorous condition.