full time job ???????

garry kidd

Hi, it could but....................................there are hundreds of part time turners out there that would all love to try.

If you believe you have enbough guaranteed work to keep you busy from 8am to 5pm Mon to Saturday and you have developed the skill and speed over many years then maybe. Work out how much you need an hour, your overheads including expendable items ~ tools, abrasive, oils etc, electricity, heat etc etc etc and dont forget the money you need to put aside to pay your tax and insurance!.

There is a unfortunately a great difference between turning a few mushrooms and apples like all woodturners do at the beginning and proudly give them to all their relatives at Christmas. They may all say how good they are but realistically and after moving on to something a bit more advanced than such basic turning try selling your pieces in sufficient quantity to cover the above, make a profit and put food on the table you will probably find the answer to your question.

If you are still convinced that your work is good enough to support you and yours join a local AWGB woodturning club and talk to a few of the professionals and they will also help guide you. Apologies if that is a bit abrupt but better you face up to the facts now rather than later, anyway good luck and your welcome to PM me if you have any questions ~ I need to get back to the workshop !!!.

mate dont worry about the ammount of work or the ammount you make in cash,just contact working tax credits and tell them you will be working as self employed at 16 hours a week at nmw,they will asses you and pay you an income based on those figures,once awarded this you can apply for housing and council tax benefits,based on nmw you will get 100% rate,then at the end of the year you supply working tax credits with your actual income and if its less than your assessed rate they send you a fat cheque for the difference,works a treat for me! and if your business is a success you can gently wean off the government help to a point where you are totally self sufficiant by way of income. if you need any furthur help just shout.and good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, it could but....................................there are hundreds of part time turners out there that would all love to try.

If you believe you have enbough guaranteed work to keep you busy from 8am to 5pm Mon to Saturday and you have developed the skill and speed over many years then maybe. Work out how much you need an hour, your overheads including expendable items ~ tools, abrasive, oils etc, electricity, heat etc etc etc and dont forget the money you need to put aside to pay your tax and insurance!.

There is a unfortunately a great difference between turning a few mushrooms and apples like all woodturners do at the beginning and proudly give them to all their relatives at Christmas. They may all say how good they are but realistically and after moving on to something a bit more advanced than such basic turning try selling your pieces in sufficient quantity to cover the above, make a profit and put food on the table you will probably find the answer to your question.

If you are still convinced that your work is good enough to support you and yours join a local AWGB woodturning club and talk to a few of the professionals and they will also help guide you. Apologies if that is a bit abrupt but better you face up to the facts now rather than later, anyway good luck and your welcome to PM me if you have any questions ~ I need to get back to the workshop !!!.

Good advice. Make it happen ;)

could wood turning/wood craft be a full time job say making furniture ornimants spindles ect all by hand

I was an AA Patrolman three years ago. I jacked it in for green woodworking - gates, fencing and garden stuff mostly. What Fish says is right, it was the support of tax credits that allowed me to do it. Now I have a nice little business. I won't get rich but I'm not really interested in that. You've got to keep your overheads low, really low. A tonne of oak or sweet chestnut makes a lot of fancy garden furniture that someone will gladly pay money for. Now I'm making green woodworking tools at the forge and that's half my business these days. Yeah, it's all good really. However, I do sweat a lot!

Go for it and good luck!

could wood turning/wood craft be a full time job say making furniture ornimants spindles ect all by hand

Hi interesting question, most of us duck and dive,ie jack of all! master of none, going on courses and learning from people in the know,taking snippits of information,and adapting it to your circumstances,get the correct tickets,be honest,charge rates that allow you to live, and eventually you`ll come good,,,I started part time working 3 days on regular wage,4 days craft,,now dont have a spare day,,,,:thumbup: