Tpo Oak with Gano

Guest Infinitree

Sorry; I forgot to respond to the first point:

"My comments were aimed at explaining the legislative intricacies of securing work on protected trees and not intended to inform a discussion on tree assessment."

If I'm hearing this right, legislative intricacies are where the rubber meets the road to determining which assessment methods are valid, or "standard practice" judged by a legal entity. kind of like case law, or a policy set by executive order. there seems to be a clear difference between:

Populations--more like vegetation management--mitigation not worth the time.

Significant specimens, or any individuals--mitigation worth considering.

"... no intermediates, with the volume of trees involved it just isn't worth sending climbers up."

Not to be nosy, but can't/aren't most assessments in the UK to determine reasonable intermediate actions--done from the ground, with binoculars?

And how high is the cost of an assessor getting high in the tree? I've read before where this is a deal-breaker on trees in the UK, whereas a basic aerial inspection over here can be under 100 dollars or pounds. An hour and a fraction to ascend and record and descend.

Considering the high cost of removal, and the value of the tree, that range of expense seems fiscally responsible, and affordable to most owners and managers.

Or do the legislative intricacies of LOLER etc drive that rate even higher?

"sometimes you can both be correct (and wrong!)"

Many times, actually!:hmmmm2:

Edited by treeseer

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Infinitree

For Treeseer. I appreciate your concerns,Don't worry I wouldn't advocate felling when a tree can be safely retained and managed.

The first 2 photos are of the Oak with 'the conk', the second tree is a bit of a concern however, alot of this wet yellow rot-would the black layers be armillaria?

IMG_1103.jpg.b4c73500a6b3503017a8c12abd11cb19.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg.112091bba50b824685ea9d34683c1309.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg.a8c0ea0566e6035613a15abb97e63268.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg.beb390d03c1b3b2396be9bc3c816682a.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg.dc3b322f91eeaba6e8706d238fedd354.jpg

For Treeseer. I appreciate your concerns,Don't worry I wouldn't advocate felling when a tree can be safely retained and managed.

The first 2 photos are of the Oak with 'the conk', the second tree is a bit of a concern however, alot of this wet yellow rot-would the black layers be armillaria?

Thanks In, on the HC thread all we heard was "fell or retain", but I did not think that was standard in the UK.

Good looking @Wall 4 response. If one pathogen or another is identified, I'm wondering what difference that will make in the actual prognosis.prescription/specification of works. Location of infections in sinuses with included bark seems typical. what should be done about it?

on the HC thread all we heard was "fell or retain", but I did not think that was standard in the UK.

On the HC thread, all we heard was you not being willing nor able to recognize, that your "fell or retain" dichotomy assumption of standard practice in Europe (including the U.K.) was a product of your rich fantasy :lol: .

- the company I work undertakes risk assessment within Ministry of Defence land at Thetford (largely pine plantation). The brief is fell or retain - no intermediates, with the volume of trees involved it just isn't worth sending climbers up.

A simple enough process...one to which QTRA is ideally suited I would have thought....?