Tpo Oak with Gano

Guest Infinitree

Guest Infinitree

Hi Guys,

What's the sound wood/decay threshold following a resistograph to allow a tree with TPO to be removed? And what's the cost?

x2 Oaks, one with Gano adspersum(or applanatum?) bracket. 3'dbh

one with calloused/shed bark indicating Armillaria 3'dbh

Appologies I don't have much experience on this

Cheers

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This subject is not black and white although using reference material percentages can be obtained as a guide but with many variables.

Much can be found by sounding alone with a nylon hammer before resorting to expensive and invasive methods.

Actual evidence of the Armillaria would be required to diagnose this and a comprehensive report with a body of evidence is required to build a case for the removal of preserved trees.

Source a local experienced consultant to provide an acuarate assessment for the client. There has been too many accidents. You don't want that over your head.:001_smile:

Tree Life, Systen provide training in these matters:thumbup1:

Hi Guys,

What's the sound wood/decay threshold following a resistograph to allow a tree with TPO to be removed? And what's the cost?

x2 Oaks, one with Gano adspersum(or applanatum?) bracket. 3'dbh

one with calloused/shed bark indicating Armillaria 3'dbh

Appologies I don't have much experience on this

Cheers

quite a few fancy words in there rob !you been looking at my website :sneaky2::biggrin:

What is your assignment? Once that is clear, so are the tasks. Excellent advice here

Much can be found by sounding alone with a nylon hammer before resorting to expensive and invasive methods.

Actual evidence of the Armillaria would be required to diagnose this and a comprehensive report with a body of evidence is required to build a case for the removal of preserved trees.

Source a local experienced consultant to provide an accurate assessment for the client. There has been too many accidents. You don't want that over your head.:001_smile:

Tree Life, System provide training in these matters:thumbup1:

First it's black discoloration, now callused and shedding bark by itself indicates honey fungus? :001_huh: Even if it is present, it can be walled off by the tree, if the tree gets proper care.

What's your assignment?

What diagnostic steps have you taken to justify drilling? Finding one mushroom does not seem sufficient by itself. Got some pictures?

This subject is not black and white although using reference material percentages can be obtained as a guide but with many variables.

Actual evidence of the Armillaria would be required to diagnose this and a comprehensive report with a body of evidence is required to build a case for the removal of preserved trees. SOURCE A LOCAL EXPERIENCED CONSULTANT to provide an accurate assessment for the client. There has been too many accidents. You don't want that over your head.:001_smile:

Tree Life, Systen provide training in these matters:thumbup1:

Top advice. :thumbup:

Edited by treesnatcher
speling

1. x2 Oaks

2. one with Gano adspersum (or applanatum?) bracket. 3'dbh one with calloused/shed bark indicating Armillaria 3'dbh

1. What oaks, Quercus robur ? How old, what phase of its life cycle ? Any (tree species specific) ectomycorrhizal macrofungi around ? What does the crown and the foliage look like ?

2. First thing to do is to get the macrofungi identified (see the Ganoderma thread) :

- as the interaction between Q. robur and the decomposing strategies of the mycelia of G. lipsiense (necrotrophic parasite) or G. australe (biotrophic parasite) differs considerably regarding the extent and speed of development of the white rot with selective delignificaton of the central wood column of the tree, with G. australe being the most detrimental and dangerous of the two Ganoderma's (see the Ganoderma thread and my album on Ganoderma australe : Tilia, Acer & Quercus rubra),

- necrotrophic parasitic Armillaria species start decomposing wood outside in once (a part of) the tree has died and because of that mostly are no threat to the stability of the tree (stable tree "corpse") in the first phase of infection with rhizomorphs and/or melanine plaques causing the shedding of bark. See my album on Rhizomorph's Armillaria and my Quercus robur & Armillaria ostoyae thread.

After this, standard VTA-procedures are to be followed to determine whether the trees should be felled or conserved, and if so, what measures should be taken to keep the trees safe.

Additionally (esp. for those overseas) as the tree is protected you will be obliged to make a formal application to the LPA for its removal - I'm assuming the tree isn't exempt or it would be gone by now! :)

Either you or your appointed consultant will need to make a sufficient case for the trees removal based on the evidence. One thing you might consider is whether felling/dismantling is the only option; another is the current/future amenity value of the tree. It would not be unusual for an application for felling to be refused where the tree could be reduced to mitigate failure especially in high profile cases. If you want it felled then you must justify that spec above others.

Remember, you no longer get the oppourtunity to add material to your application for an appeal - your application must contain sufficient detail to determine a decision. Always plan for appeal, it saves you and your client time.

Guest Infinitree

Thanks for the info there chaps!

There is only half a cm of the Ganoderma bracket left on the tree so I couldn't Id it too well, the rest appears to have been snapped off recently, the trees are in good health,healthy crown on both (Q.robur) and no compensatory growth around the butress- The trees have had an arboricultural survey but no mention of fungi present and limited work has be permitted on the trees.

There's no evidence for removal, just needed the information for the client-

I'll give the trees a good tapping and advise.

Thanks again :thumbup1:

There is only half a cm of the Ganoderma bracket left on the tree so I couldn't Id it too well, the rest appears to have been snapped off recently, the trees are in good health, healthy crown on both (Q.robur) and no compensatory growth around the butress- The trees have had an arboricultural survey but no mention of fungi present and limited work has be permitted on the trees. There's no evidence for removal, just needed the information for the client-I'll give the trees a good tapping and advise.

I don't want to (probably unnecessarily) alarm you, but this is what G. australe did to a from the outside perfectly healthy looking Q. robur, which' trunk got twisted (torsion) and vertically delaminated (shear crack) during a storm.

Zomereik-Dikrandtonderzwam.jpg.e867dd101dec1c5fa5726201b03da326.jpg