Inonotus dryadeus

we must also remind treeseer and others that the relationship with britains native white oaks quercus robur/petrea and thier "Species specific" Inonotus dryadeus is very different to that in Other Oaks like cerris rubra coccinea etc.

KJames the case in question, was it an oak or a wingnut?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt mind betting ive seen more dryadeus than anyone else in the u.k!

Job done then; you've got your epitaph ready! :001_rolleyes:

thanks; I'll look into the thread if i want to see different modes of action on different species. Most of the urban oaks with I.d. here are Q. phellos, pointy leaves.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldnt mind betting ive seen more dryadeus than anyone else in the u.k!

O.k this is getting silly now! I know I took my name in part because of this fungi but it seems that has made me drawn to them by some mystic voodoo magic!:lol:

This was as always a pure fluke, I saw a sneaky hiding pollard ash and turned into a very narrow lane in the middle of nowhere to find a place to park. I saw a gate entrance to a field pulled in and starring me straight in the face was this fine and very healthy Oak, riddled with the dryadeus:thumbup1:

One day I will make a google map of dryad trees!:biggrin:

I would say that of the big players in Oak basidiomycetes with Fistulina hepatica and Laetiporus sulphureus, Inonotus is with them in the top three most commonly found in association with Quercus robur/petrea.

59765fdae0fe8_epicC.sativarickyetc243.jpg.d061fbb41e12d1cb76008074f1e28d55.jpg

59765fdae5714_epicC.sativarickyetc244.jpg.99d5ab415baea8bc5c9194bfb0217855.jpg

59765fdaea2ad_epicC.sativarickyetc245.jpg.7eed94a065ef9365acf1f2667e8a9e24.jpg

59765fdaf0db6_epicC.sativarickyetc246.jpg.9b1a9f89e8621b184a126d803380f387.jpg

i do agree with you rob, whether we have a habit of knee jerking with any little fung or that the north weather aint right for that softy southern bracket! :biggrin:

ive seen a few that are suspect on my drive bys (im looking and nearly crashing now because of you tony! haha) but ive not seen anything obvious!