Inonotus dryadeus

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Came across this on some residential land the other day.

Very heavily leaning Oak with what appears to be Old Dryadeus fruiting bodies.

Was wondering if the Bulge at the back of leaning stem was a result of buckling of some description because of dryadeus decay?

Anyway.....this tree leans over a public highway so have got the management companys number to inform them that they have a dangerous tree on their hands......due to the extent of the lean and the proximity of the tree i am presuming a removal (with the stem reduced down to a safe height for habitat) would be the advice here.? If the company dismiss it then a call to the council (as it is a danger to the highway).

Im fully aware that Oaks with dryadeus can be retained and managed successfully in certain environments but in this case?

Advice and thoughts please.

IMG_0003.jpg.ddd86c87f8277409c812f957ca08715b.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg.ea01f7ca1405460c3347ff9cfb343320.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg.7d96963a3ba4f3a4b4198ac4984782b3.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg.02b0bd41259aac16d06795f26000ab90.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg.80c9a08be25bdb2165bc924a01d85c12.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg.63ed81a38c85319f15ec62639448bf01.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg.1ae8cfae9ac6b016a34643de32304238.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg.32202d329f9aee944f000d593a736877.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg.ccf2219dd3db0eec2a71455c69970ced.jpg

Was wondering if the Bulge at the back of leaning stem was a result of buckling of some description because of dryadeus decay?

Anyway.....this tree leans over a public highway so have got the management companys number to inform them that they have a dangerous tree on their hands......due to the extent of the lean and the proximity of the tree i am presuming a removal (with the stem reduced down to a safe height for habitat) would be the advice here.? If the company dismiss it then a call to the council (as it is a danger to the highway).

Im fully aware that Oaks with dryadeus can be retained and managed successfully in certain environments but in this case?

your suspicions are all correct, and i am with you on this particular case.

your suspicions are all correct, and i am with you on this particular case.

• 3 months later...

I found what appeared to be a desiccated fruiting body of I. dryadeus on the stem of an oak, not far from the top of the bole, but it was at 2.5m high. There is minor dieback in the crown. There is soil compaction for sure. The stem is approx 1.2m dbh and tree probably 15m high (off top of my head). The FB was tucked away in some ivy I was stripping (tree in high risk zone and I wanted to actually see the stem).

534735_10151142685138372_266381262_n.jpg

Am I barking up the wrong tree?