Inonotus dryadeus

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Q phellos. probably more common here in the warmer se usa. Interesting that you consider it overrated; here it gets a lot of respect, but questionable how fast or how inevitably it spreads.

first pic new conk next to old. 2nd pic new conk near recent paving damage.

DSC01802.JPG.bf27357d9f260705965714208272d883.JPG

DSC01807.JPG.04db03ca57a233d06790401fa9eeb681.JPG

On Q phellos. probably more common here in the warmer se usa. Interesting that you consider it overrated; here it gets a lot of respect, but questionable how fast or how inevitably it spreads.

first pic new conk next to old. 2nd pic new conk near recent paving damage.

Guy I have seen this fungus in over a thousand oaks, I am entitled to have some opinion forming:001_smile:

in a road side situation, or urbanised, or with grazing damage Inonotus dryadeus is, as stated elsewhere in the thread a different prospect, and as also stated always warrants further investigations.

I have seen this fungus in over a thousand oaks, I am entitled to have some opinion forming ... in a road side situation, or urbanised, or with grazing damage Inonotus dryadeus is, as stated elsewhere in the thread a different prospect, and as also stated always warrants further investigations.

Guy,

If you doubt Tony's expertise opinion on this, read what Weber & Mattheck in Manual of Wood Decays in Trees (page 72-73) have to say on and documented of the effects of I. dryadeus on oaks in an urban or roadside situation.

Guy I have seen this fungus in over a thousand oaks, I am entitled to have some opinion forming:001_smile:

in a road side situation, or urbanised, or with grazing damage Inonotus dryadeus is, as stated elsewhere in the thread a different prospect, and as also stated always warrants further investigations.

We agree. Of course.

Probe did not reach far, but tomography has been recommended for all trees with Ganoderma and Inonotus fb's, and with cavities discerned by sounding.

I've seen it in hundreds, but was not keeping count. It is a bad actor.

I've seen it in hundreds, but was not keeping count. It is a bad actor.

Where (U.S., Australia, New Zealand, Europe ?), on what species of Quercus and how old were the trees ?

Any documentation on the assessment of the (tree species specific) effects on the condition and stability of each of these Quercus species ? Attacking strategies, softrot and/or white rot ? Body language of the trees, bark and cambium necrosis ?

Co-existence with Fistulina hepatica and/or Laetiporus sulphureus ?

Edited by Fungus

Where (U.S., Australia, New Zealand, Europe ?), on what species of Quercus and how old were the trees ?

OLD Q PHELLOS MOSTLY, SE USA muggy here in summer.

Any documentation on the assessment of the (tree species specific) effects on the condition and stability of each of these Quercus species ? Attacking strategies, softrot and/or white rot ? Body language of the trees, bark and cambium necrosis ?

butt rot

Co-existence with Fistulina hepatica and/or Laetiporus sulphureus ?

seldom other fb's or other signs/symptoms visible. one rotter is enough!

seldom other fb's or other signs/symptoms visible. one rotter is enough!

There is a 50/50 chance a major decay fungi will be alone in its work, there is as much chance as 2-3-4-5-6 others at work, at various points about the tree as one area of dysfunction is often connected to others. Sometimes the others may not fruit, so youll not know without a good knowledge of body languages of decay and or the tree species specific netwroks of fungi and no i dont expect all to have such a deep understanding, its a skill that must be developed like any other.

some of us freaks are hell bent on our bent, and it serves us well:001_rolleyes:

OK. not sure where the odds come from or whether they apply to other regions. The primary question is degree and progression of decay, and if a tool can measure this, assessment and monitoring is pretty straightforward.

That said, I'll look more for those mentioned, fbs or no.