habitat

likeitorlumpit

We have been asked to cut back some mixed shrubbery containing ivy/ cherry/sycamore/ cotoneaster/ eleagnus/ senecio.

Being aware that there are some bird lovers in the area and there is evidence of birds perching and feeding but I would be curious to know what legally do we really need to do before commencing operations. I have looked and not found any nests but is there anything else we should do before getting stuck in.

Thanks

I know what you're saying about end February- nesting does start really early

Just get the feeling there's only likely to be maybe pigeons and possibly collared doves nesting now and we've seen no evidence of either and as theres plenty of other habitat on the site that we're not touching I feel now is about as good a time to do the work as there is. My concern is that I know there are a few people who have put bird feeders out in the area and who will be annoyed at what we have been asked to do. There is bound to be some ruffled feathers. I should be hardened to it I know. But if the s**t hits the fan what legally am I obliged to do. Anyone?

Thanks

I know what you're saying about end February- nesting does start really early

Just get the feeling there's only likely to be maybe pigeons and possibly collared doves nesting now and we've seen no evidence of either and as theres plenty of other habitat on the site that we're not touching I feel now is about as good a time to do the work as there is. My concern is that I know there are a few people who have put bird feeders out in the area and who will be annoyed at what we have been asked to do. There is bound to be some ruffled feathers. I should be hardened to it I know. But if the s**t hits the fan what legally am I obliged to do. Anyone?

Hi,as with any site you just have to ensure there are no protected species present...legally.Basically if nests(or other protected species) are not present and its not a listed protected site/ssi,then there should be no issue of concern.No nests=yes to work.The law is all about disturbance to species and how work might affect the local/wider population of species.(If you want to be 'safer'then consult with local wildlife group/RSPB/Natural England etc and record any interaction with them for proof of responsible work ethics/good practice), but really should be ok,especially at this time of year.For mitigation purposes you can state that there is adequate alternative foraging and cover in the vicinity,in fact you may be promoting new growth or foraging potential for the future.Hope that helps.