Bat Surveys

Baxter

HI guys,

I'm currently doing the FdSc in Arb and interested in being able to be qualified to do bat surveys around trees.

Does anyone know what course would be needed to be able to do this?

I thought there was an arb assosiation one but cant seem to find it.

Nick

HI guys,

I'm currently doing the FdSc in Arb and interested in being able to be qualified to do bat surveys around trees.

Does anyone know what course would be needed to be able to do this?

I thought there was an arb assosiation one but cant seem to find it.

Nick

I would not go on the AA one (sorry paul!) You want to speak to geoff Billington of Greena ecological consultancy:thumbup1:

I would not go on the AA one (sorry paul!) You want to speak to geoff Billington of Greena ecological consultancy:thumbup1:

NO apology needed Hama, that's the whole point of this forum for people to air honest, balanced views, without it much would be lost.

I'm keen to know 'why' you wouldn't go on one tho, is this 'hear say' or personel expereince? If the course is no longer 'fit for purpose', and remember it is a one-day bat awareness training day, we need to know and amend / update it accordingly.

Thanks for the post.

Paul

PS I've never actually doen the course myself and it's runs by BCT on our behalf...I beleive.

Just to add to the previous info,attendance at ALL properly designed courses are evidence that you have made efforts to educate yourself on the subject.BCT do run more specific courses which may help TOWARDS getting a licence in the future but the more usual approach to date is that you undertake appropriate training..i.e.courses etc; AND have a percentage of "hands on" practical experience also.It may take some time to achieve all necessary experience/training but is worth pursuing even if just for interest and knowledge.

The cheapest and easiest way to start the process to becoming a licence bat holder is to join your local or neighbouring Bat Group. I am member of three local bat groups some are better than others in terms of walks, talks and training that they offer. I am also a member of the BCT (Bat Conservation Trust), mammal society and my local mammal group.

Once you get the bat bug there is no turning bat:lol:

NO apology needed Hama, that's the whole point of this forum for people to air honest, balanced views, without it much would be lost.

I'm keen to know 'why' you wouldn't go on one tho, is this 'hear say' or personel expereince? If the course is no longer 'fit for purpose', and remember it is a one-day bat awareness training day, we need to know and amend / update it accordingly.

Thanks for the post.

Paul

PS I've never actually doen the course myself and it's runs by BCT on our behalf...I beleive.

Paul,

I have been on the AA 'bat awareness training day' and it does just what it says on the tin and I throught it was a very good course. However the cost of the course and all AA tree courses always seems to me a little pricey compared to the bat world! Did you know Paul that the BCT have their annual conference at the same venue as the AA on the Friday/Saturday and Sunday at half the price?